• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclock question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elitemetalx

when you get a new cpu, is it better to run a burn-in program like Prime95 or Sandra before overclocking? and how long should you run the burn-in programs? and after you get your most comfortable overclock, do you have to burn-in again to gain stability? sorry this might be a newbie question, but i need to know....

when i get a new processor i generally overclock it right out of the box. i think overclocking it while you burn it in will help. I would push the cpu fairly hard (more then 140 fsb) and then run some burn in programs. i have found that running the cpu overclocked for a month or more helped me to gain a few extra mhz on the FSB.

you can overclock it as high as it will go then run it for a month or more to burn it in at that speed and see if you can then OC it some more.

I think the smartest thing to do is build and run it at defaults for a couple of days to make sure that its ok.

Personally, I'm not too smart though. At this point I toss ram and a video card in to make sure it will post (thermal compound and hsf too of course!)
Then I unlock the thing!
I do run it slow for a couple of days usually- overclocked, but not pushing too hard, and with the voltage up a bit.

I agree with roger. I'll probably run it at normal speeds for a few days to make sure everything is good. If something messes up, then you won't know whether it's a bad CPU or a bad o/c.

Back