• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid version of mobo better than non-raid?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"Does the raid versions of boards o/c any better?"

No difference that I know of. Besides if one finds a problem oc'ing with the onboard Raid, just disable it! But that is not the real problem with these onboard Raid controllers. These HighPoint Raid controllers are finicky with the new ata 133 hard drives. Plus at one time the onboard HighPoint controllers were giving some bootup problems, hanging regardless to the hard drive you had on it!. (oc'ing didn't really matter.)

In general I'll say it this way, after my experiences with Abit's onboard HP Raid, with several Abit mobos, and from other's experiences I've read here, I disabled my Raid due to its' own inherent problems and bought a Promise TX2000 Raid controller and put it in one of my PCI slots. And that was one of my better moves! I cured a lot of problems by doing that! So that should tell you I won't be buying anymore Abit mobos with their onboard HP Raid controllers!

Cheers,
Mike Lamb

Back