• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

colored lexan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grim

i am going to build a cube case out of lexan but i wanted to use red colored lexan. does anyone know where i can find some?

i have only been able to find clear lexan. you can find it at hardware stores and i the general electric website. I have looked all over and still no colored.

Do you want it to still be transparent, if so you can use "glass paint" thinned down with mineral spirits(just a little), or water depending on what type you get. You should be able to find glass paint at any hobby store like "micheals" for instance. Also you would probably want to use a sprayer to apply the product coz you dont want any brush marks. small sprayers that use compressed air cannisters that screw onto a glass jar(that holds the product), can be bought from home depot i think and also the larger home decorating stores.(thats where i get mine)
hope this helps.:)

thanks for your help. i never thought of painting it but i guess that would be the best thing next to buying it already colored

absolutely....and let me also say that i havent seen any colored lexan either(except smoke)and the only other way i could think of would be to use a transparent film, kind of like window tint but red. I've seen film like this around once again at the larger hobby stores.

im also seriously thinking of fabricating a 'cube'...but ive been waiting for an original idea...i'm thinking maybe a double wall with water in it so it looks like half the internals are submerged in H2O!...still in the design process...i'd like to know how it turns out...let me know.

Hmmm... that's kinda weird. Local "Building Box" or "Reno Depot" as they call it here in Quebec has all sorts of different colors. Keep in mind that it's not true "Lexan", it's "Acrylite". Made by a company called CRYO industries.

Linkage.

i didnt know that..so if you dont mind getting 'immitation' then it seems you could order from canada. why did you choose lexan...im just wondering.

If you paint the lexan paint the side that is going to be on the inside it will give the color some depth and won't require buffing to get a nice shine.

McMaster.com Sells Polycarbonate (Lexan) and Acrylic sheets in 7 different tint colors, clear, opaque black (expensive), and opaque white (expensive).

They also have ANY size/thickness you could possibly need. All at competitive prices.

wildbilly2k said:
i saw this window etch like thing that goes on windows does that work on lexan too?

True Window etching creme is an acid that would quickly melt through lexan. Other Etching cremes and sprays will indicate wether or not they can be used on plastics.

Different colors of Tinting film can be purchased at auto-parts stores if you want to mix colors. Red tint on blue lexan would get you purple. Or you could use reflective tint so your computer could be mirrored when the light inside your case is turned off.
The combination possibilities are endless.

And DON'T USE ACRYLIC. It's not flexible, it melts easily, and gives off toxic fumes when heated.

will a grey tinted lexan look like it is smoked like the windows you can buy at pcmods.com?

thanks. how thick do you think i should get it for the sides of a case (i am making a lexan cube) and how thick do you think for drive racks

Back