• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

colored lexan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well i am not making a window i am making the entire case out of lexan so i imagine it would need to be a bit thicker.

what thickness did you use on your case slug?

yeah www.pcmods.com has colored lexan for windows but not just regular sheets. what about buying window tinting film and applying that? it comes in lots of different colors, plus you could do custom designs w/ it.

also ridout plastics seems to have a good selection.

oh yeah and here's the link for the transparent colored stuff.

it's expensive though, 100 bucks for a 51x100 inch sheet. of course if you do it right that should be enough for a whole case.

grim said:
well i am not making a window i am making the entire case out of lexan so i imagine it would need to be a bit thicker.

what thickness did you use on your case slug?

The top and base plates are 1/2" and the sides and front/back are 1/8"

Making the top on base plates 1/2" inch allowed me to dril and tap holes for mounting the front, back, and side plates with thumbscrews. The end result looks better than epoxy jointing and it's not as permanent.

grim said:
thanks. how thick do you think i should get it for the sides of a case (i am making a lexan cube) and how thick do you think for drive racks

If we're talking a cube with corner supports or construction with brackets I'd recommend 1/4" for all sides. But, if you can spare the vertical space, 1/2" top and base plates will save you alot of hassle. Drive supports will do fine in 1/8", but the difficulty is finding ways to attach those plates. The easiest way to mount the drives is by buying long bolts so that you don't HAVE to make any interior drive support plates.

If you need any more help building your DIY case just PM me. I have tutorials and much more in-depth information on anything you could possibly want to know. I can also help you layout your design in CAD.

Last edited:
h20link said:
yeah www.pcmods.com has colored lexan for windows but not just regular sheets.
it's expensive though, 100 bucks for a 51x100 inch sheet. of course if you do it right that should be enough for a whole case.

The sheets at PCmods.com are waaaay more expensive than the sheets available at mcmaster.

And 51x100 is way more plastic than you'd need for a project like this unless you were building a full tower case. I built my tiny case with 1 sheet of 12 x 12 x 0.5" and one sheet of 48 x 48 x 0.125"

h20link said:
yeah www.pcmods.com has colored lexan for windows but not just regular sheets.

The sheets at PCmods.com are waaaay more expensive than the sheets available at mcmaster.

And 51x100 is way more plastic than you'd need for a project like this unless you were building a full tower case. I built my tiny case with 1 sheet of 12 x 12 x 0.5" and one sheet of 48 x 48 x 0.125"

For case construction I don't recommend anything thinner than 0.125' (1/8"). Anything thinner and it'll be too flexible to support weight.

Follow this link. Oddly enough this wood shop has a nice selection of "TRANSPARENT" sheets.
I ordered the Transparent Green and it was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Stays clean, and looks nice too.
You probably want Stock #911, it's red transparent.
When you hold this up to the light or look through it everything will have a nice Red, or in my case 'green' tint.
Hope this helps

http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/plexiglas.htm

Back