• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dead motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

james.miller

help! ive brought a k7s5a (same board is in my current setup)
i installed it all, fired it up and....nothing.

ive got fans turning,lights flashing but bugger all else. please help me - im building this for a friend and he wont like it if ive killed his mobo

It is possible you have killed it, but there are a few things you can try before pronouncing it dead. First, try clearing cmos. Next you can try putting the ram in another slot. Also, see if any of the components you have are dead. This problem can be caused by faulty parts.

i tried clearing the cmos.several times.ive used sdrand ddr ram.unpluged all but the graphics card and still get nothing.
it was brought at a computer fair with an xp2000 that was put in buy the person we brought it off.

I just did a major upgrade for a friend, mobo, CPU, memory, PSU, vid card, and a new harddrive. I went to fire it up, and I got nothing but beep codes. It turned out the brand new Gainward GF-2 was DOA! It is working with an old Trident PCI card for now.
Did it give you any beep codes?

If there are no beeps then there is a good chance your motherboard is dead. I know this is a dumb question, but is the pc speaker wire plugged in correctly to the motherboard?

yeah. the pc im building is exactly the same as my current system,except with an xp2000
i have both pcs open and the wireing is identical for both

ok. Well try switching parts around. Test the parts for your friend in your motherboard. Use the process of elimination before concluding that your mobo is dead.

its not dead.its working now. and do you know what it was?
the bloody twat put the processor in the wrong way around.IDIOT!!!
i dont know how it didnt fry it

Hmm..I thought I checked this one time. Seems to me that the CPU will only go into the socket 1 way.
Are you sure it didn't bend or break one of the corner pins?:eh?:

no honestly it was the wrong way.i noticed the the writing on the core was facing the other way to that of mine.i switched it round and...now it works

That is the strangest thing I ever heard!! I thought the proc could only go in one way, that is so wierd. Whatever.... I am glad you figured it out.

james.miller said:
help! ive brought a k7s5a (same board is in my current setup)
i installed it all, fired it up and....nothing.

ive got fans turning,lights flashing but bugger all else. please help me - im building this for a friend and he wont like it if ive killed his mobo

Why would you just assume that you killed the board? If you just got it and it doesn't work, then it's defective.

Talk about jumping to conclusions...

FYI I recently bought a K7S5A and it also didn't work (well it worked with Duron 700 MHz but not with Athlon XP or Athlon Tbird). RMA it.

i said 'if'. i didnt say i did, did i?
it didnt work when i brought it.but now it does.what does that make it? cause it isnt defective

sorry if that sounded a little harsh - wasnt ment to. it didnt work because of the processor. im verylucky it still works now!

Ouch..... I hate when that happens.

Actually, the last 10 computer's i've built have been pretty successful, it's good to see the videopost, but like 1 minute later it could die :(

Dude, it is 100% impossible to put the CPU in the wrong way without bending the pins.

There are two corners cut out of the pins....turn it, flip it, it don't matter, short of turning it inside out it's impossible.

Back