• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Pro or 2000 Pro? Stability, security, efficiency.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I vote 2000 Pro. It manages memory better, doesn't have a whole bunch of stuff that you'll never use sucking up valuable space, and doesn't require lots of tweaking to run quickly and efficiently.

2k Pro cause I like it more then XP. :D But either way it doesn't really matter. If you like how XP looks get it, otherwise stick with 2k. They both are very similar.

i follow Oni..

by the way you can always consider price between both. many ppl will point out advantages in the two OS but W2k is still a bit cheaper.

Mine is for XP pro. More stable, better looking, and you CAN tweak the hell out of it (I think that's my favorite part about it).

I vote for windows 2k pro. Have them on all my servers and have never had one crash that wasn't induced by me. I swear I wanted to see what 250fsb would do ;) Also XP has to many services for my taste.

win2000 and winXP are both based on the NT kernel so both of them are stable, but i think win2000 has better security and more efficent.

All the "crap" in XP can easily be removed and xp can be made as clean and secure as win2k is.
As for using "save disk space" as an argument that might have been an issue 10 years ago but not now.
When you strip it down to just that XP wins because it has abillities 2k don't and never will have.

XP pro and 2K pro are built around the same technology.

The choice comes down to a few things.

1. Hardware Support - XP tends to have better support now.
2. Games - Some older games do not work on 2K
3. Interface - Which one do you prefer?

I use 2K pro on all my machines here, I used XP for a while and have gome back, I like the older feel of 2K over XP.

Stability and security wise there is not alot in it

2000 because it doesnt NEED to be tweaked to be fast:D , unlike XP, which can be tweaked more, but also is starting way in the hole compared to 2k. Also, i havent had any hardware or games issues that couldnt be solved by either service pack 2 or the application compatibility fix.

no big difference between these two,

WinXP is more like a prettier version of Win2k

my vote is for win2k it has been tested and proved a great os xp is not bad imo but i still prefer 2k it is all about user preference basically they are they same give or take a few features and one with just a prettier skin to it

I vote for 2000 pro, simply because you won't have to babysit it as much as XP pro. XP is prettier, but 2000 is overall more stable and has less features that you'll never use, so therefore you can use it more efficiently.

Back