• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I transfer WU's to another computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orangebug

There's been a change here at work and I won't have access to a couple of computers that I have been using for folding. They are both in the middle of a 6 pt. WU and I was wondering if I could transfer them over to my other computer just to finish them off. I'd hate to lose the work that has already been done.

Also, is there a way to run F@H on my computer even while I'm logged off? I am running the console version on NT but I don't have administrator privileges. Any help would be appreciated.

Orangebug

orangebug said:
There's been a change here at work and I won't have access to a couple of computers that I have been using for folding. They are both in the middle of a 6 pt. WU and I was wondering if I could transfer them over to my other computer just to finish them off. I'd hate to lose the work that has already been done.

some say it is possible and some say it isn't, personally i just tried this so see if i could get it to work and i couldn't...sorry:(

Also, is there a way to run F@H on my computer even while I'm logged off? I am running the console version on NT but I don't have administrator privileges. Any help would be appreciated.

there are many ways to run to client as a service, since you don't have administrative rights however, i think you should give firedaemon is works wonders and will do what you need it too:) there is a guide for setting it up here . hope this helps.

FOLD ON
NAS

orangebug said:
Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know!

Orangebug

well good luck to you, and hope the install/setup goes well. should give you absolutely no problems and run just as you want it to:D if it doesn't i guess we will have to try some other things ;)

FOLD ON
NAS

Well, the good news is that it that the transfer of work seems to be working. What I did was copied the entire folding directory (not just the work dir.) over to the new comp and ran the folding program with -config so I could set it up as machine #2. I have both clients running now and each take up 50% of the processor. Hopefully this means that it's working right.

The not so good news is that I have to be the administrator to install the Fire Daemon program. :mad: RATS! :mad: Oh, well. At least I tried... Maybe I'll try logging in as the admin. (if I can remember the password).

Orangebug

orangebug said:
Well, the good news is that it that the transfer of work seems to be working. What I did was copied the entire folding directory (not just the work dir.) over to the new comp and ran the folding program with -config so I could set it up as machine #2. I have both clients running now and each take up 50% of the processor. Hopefully this means that it's working right.

The not so good news is that I have to be the administrator to install the Fire Daemon program. Oh, well. At least I tried... Maybe I'll try logging in as the admin. (if I can remember the password).

Orangebug

well glad tthe WU's transfer worked for you and yeah that is how the load between two clients should go.

if you can get on as admin there are many ways to run it as a service so let us know if you can:D

FOLD ON
NAS

if you can log in as admin, using the -service switch in fire daemon will allow it to run as a service even while you're logged off.
i think that's only for the FAH3 client, so if you haven't updated, you should. (you should anyway. :p )

that's a very good setup guide. who wrote it?

No go on the admin login. I thought I remembered the password but I guess not. I have three clients running now (two of them using -pause so they won't continue when done) and I'll leave my computer logged in over the weekend (I don't work fridays) and hopefully get those two finished. Each of the three WU's are the 6 pointer and I'm running at 550 MHz so it'll take a while. Lucky it's a 20 day limit - I may need the whole thing!

Orangebug

Back