• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help networking winXP with win98

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Taralieth

I tried running the network config wizard thing on the host comp that has winxp installed. when i finished installing it said to create a network disk and install the software on the other computers. So i tried to install it on my old computer but the wizard says taht the old computer doesn't have the required hardware. This is strange. I just installed windowsXP on my new computer. Before when it used to have windows 98SE, the network and internet connection sharing worked perfectly fine between my two computers.

I use a D-Link hub.
on my host computer, It has winXP, and two D-Link Network cards. One is connected to the internet and the other is connected to the hub.
On the second old computer, there's an Acer Network card installed which is also connected to the Hub.

I'm not sure why the wizard says that my old computer doesn't have necessary hardware as you can see from the above specs, there is an Acer NIC installed.

Is there some hidden step to networking that i didn't do yet?? Or is networking between windows 98 and windows xp not possible? Can anyone provide any suggestions?

Back