• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mandrake BETA 9, anyone tried it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ltww

Just wondering if there were any great improvements on the BETA of mandrake, compared to any other Linii OS?

I recommend you use

<===== That

Instead of Mandrake.

Otherwise, I've heard good things about the beta. They fixed several problems that Debian never had....

(I am in an extremely pro-debian mood now, but you can go ahead and use the MD9 beta if you like)

I like it a lot! It seems to be pretty stable and runs nice and smoothly with KDE 3. And my 8K3A sound now works out of the box :D

I have been running it Via VMWare, works great, nicely scalable, granted I am running a min install because I just wanted to toy with it for a bit. Thus far I would say very smooth and well done.

Can't want to see the final product on this new renditition that is for sure. Mandrake has done nothing but improve an already good product.

J :cool: Just my two cents...

beta 2 came out today.

"August 5th, 2002 - Mandrake Linux 9.0 Beta 2 ready for testing - Available in the plate for testing are new rpmdrake, java support, and msec"

ill be interested to see what changes have been made to rpmdrake. what will the java support do for it? i thought it already had that in netscape.

I may download it an install it on my P///, however I'll probably just wait until it becomes final. I am running 8.1 now, so it'll be nice to see the new changes...

phantom punisher said:
... what will the java support do for it? i thought it already had that in netscape.

I know gentoo has some trouble getting the java plugins to work since it uses gcc 3.1 and the java plugins were compiled with 2.95. There are some slightly trickey work arounds to get java working properly with gcc 3, and I assume Mandrake did some of that.

Back