• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mr. Chambers and FTP's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gandalf

***PEOPLE, THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH WAREZ OR ANY OTHER ILLEGAL ACTIVITES, IT IS SIMPLY FOR PEOPLE LIKE Mr. Cambers WHO HAVE BEEN WONDERING ABOUT THIS AND HAVE NOT GOTTEN A STRAIGHT ANSWER***

Hey bud, I have noticed in the past few days that you are interested in running an FTP.

Well, so am I, and I have done it, all in about 30 minutes! :D

I'll try to explain how I did it in simple terms, cause I’m a newb to using an FTP too! :D

Alright, first off, if you don’t have a static IP (one that doesn’t change) then you need to go to no-ip.com and sign up for there program that will automatically update your IP so that it is the same each time. Don't ask me how, cause I'm a newb! :)

Then, once you sig up and login, go to here and add name your FTP site. Mine is called gandalftp.serveftp.com. Simple enough, just choose anything you want. Just put in a name, dont change any of that DNS or IP stuff.

Once that is done, its time to download the client that keeps your IP updated. Get it here and install it. Once it is installed, just open it, and in a few minutes it should pop up with your FTP's name. In my case, it was gandalftp.serveftp.com.

All right, now that your IP is static, you can download the FTP program.

Get the best one out there, Bulletproof FTP Server, its a 30 day trial.

Once your in bulletproof, go to setup >add user accounts. Under User Accounts, right click and go add. Now choose a user name and password. To choose which files you want to make publicly available on the FTP, make one folder (mine was Gandalfs FTP) and in it put everything you want to share. Now, right click in the User Right list and add that folder. You can specify if you want people to write (upload), read (download), delete, make directories and so on......

That should have you up in running!

To view your FTP, I would suggest Cute FTP Pro as it is very simple to use. When you install it, right click on General FTP Site >Go add and FTP site and type in all of your info. In my case, it would be gandalftp.serveftp.com for the host address, and the Username and Password I chose.

Ok, I'm done, hopefully this will get you up and running in no time! :D

Last edited:
I recomend FlashFXP instead of cuteFTP.
It just seems to work better and have more features.
Good guide btw. :)

Edit: Just a note, make sure you have a good upload speed or the ftp will be slooooow (like Gandalf's ;)).

Yakbak said:
I also think FlashFXP is the best FTP client program. It has a lot more features and better user interface than CuteFTP.

Cool, it's just that I have used CuteFTP Pro and knew that it would be easy for anyone to set up.

great write gandalf.

i also use FXP over cute, also, i use SERV-U as my FTP hoster
thingy.

FTP STIIICKYYY???? :confused:

i like bulletproof for browsing, its very nice and does what i need, but is there a freeware FTP server anywhere?

doesnt winXPpro have one built in somewhere?

Malakai said:
i like bulletproof for browsing, its very nice and does what i need, but is there a freeware FTP server anywhere?

doesnt winXPpro have one built in somewhere?

Yeah I belive you right I remeber talking to some people who make websites and they said they just use the winxp ftp server thing. I belive its a extra thing you can install off the windows xp installation cd

got a link to some instructions?

EDIT: is it IIS from the add/remove windows components?
if so is it secure?

Back