• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dvd burners confuse me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob_the_d

okay, i was online looking around because i was interested in getting a dvd burner. i mean 4.7 gigs a disc just sounded too good after burning a billion and one discs at 700 megs a pop. but then i was flooded with a bunch of dvd terms... RW, +R, +RW, RW... can anyone explain to me what kinds of drives there are and what's the difference between them?

thanks

IMO it's a very bad time to be buying a dvd burner.
the companies are all fighting for market share and no one can agree on a standard format.

that doesn't worry me too much though, as by the time i could afford one , the next generation would be out. hahahah

DVD+R/+RW's will be supported in future versions of Windows. DVD-R/RW has been used for a few years by Apple. As I see it, Invest in a DVD+R/+RW. Now is not a good time to buy..wait until 5x/5x/16x burners come out, because in proportion to disk capacity, this would be equal to the burn speed of a 8x/8x/26x CD-R/RW.

Back