• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Is my DVD-R ROM half dead ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Guys , recently when i wanted to burn something onto my disc, somehow it failed ! I was using Window's own burning program , so i downloaded a free burning software , too it failed.....

Same goes with Windows Media Player while i try to burn some music onto my disc.

So i tried all this solutions here

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01897819

I even try cleaning the discs , used a DVD Rom disc cleaning thing to clean my DVD Rom.

All failed....still no luck.

But , the DVD Rom is not entirely dead....it is still able to read my discs even install my games !

So is my DVD Rom somehow half dead now that it no longer able to burn discs ?? Or is there any other solutions i can try....or least confirm it's dead....

When you were burning was it CD's only? They have seperate lasers for the DVD and CD.

When you were burning was it CD's only? They have seperate lasers for the DVD and CD.

O yeah...kinda of think of it , i was trying to burn CD....i mean i did tried with different CD....but i didn't try with DVD.....

Maybe I should get a DVD and try see.....i didn't know the laser to burn DVD and CD are different too.....

But I believe the laser to read etc is also different from burning right?

Is that even a burner in the first place? Which specific drive do you have?

No trying to sound like a jerk / an *** , i know your trying to help , but are you think im some sort of idiot :shock: Of course it's a burner :D

I been burning discs last past well few weeks or months but not often.
Now all sudden it no longer burns :(

But problem is , this DVD ROM is rather old , easily 3 - 5 years now....but thing is , usually i used it to read discs , like installing games etc , i rarely burn , and now it dies on me....rather a waste...( That is if it's guarantee dead )

Nvm , could be the problem mentioned by

I would try with a DVD see if it burns. But if both CD and DVD fails I guess we can confirm it's dead then ??

LOL, I saw the term DVD-R... and for some reason just thought READ only. :rofl:

DVD-ROM is by (my?) definition a read only device...language there I guess. :)

Earthdog- I agree with you. Calling it a DVD ROM is referring to a read-only device. The advantage here, OP, is that DVD-R/RW drives are cheaper than dirt now. They'll be selling them in six packs for $10 soon. So you can get a replacement very cheaply and easily.

Earthdog- I agree with you. Calling it a DVD ROM is referring to a read-only device. The advantage here, OP, is that DVD-R/RW drives are cheaper than dirt now. They'll be selling them in six packs for $10 soon. So you can get a replacement very cheaply and easily.

6 PACKS for 10$ :shock: That definitely be cheap lol.

Well i been to shops and browse around, they are around 15-20$ now ea.
If it's really dead what brand you guys would recommend :shrug:
Im using a Samsung now...it's well not entirely good if you ask me , firstly it's noisy....during reading , burning etc....in terms of speed i think it's average? I think there are faster ones....

Feel like trying other brands instead , since all the while i always been using Samsung....

No it is quiet and it is a blu ray burner also.

It looks like this.
View attachment 127269

Blu-Ray :bang head Hell that will rip my pocket apart....Blu-Ray are over 100$ here its equivalent to an actual Blu-Ray player which you use for your TV etc.....

Nvm , we have a few LG here maybe i will look around, any other good brands ? I never really look into all this DVD ROM brands, well usually everyone uses ASUS / SAMSUNG / LG...that's all...but i think lately almost no one uses them anymore...since you can DL games through STEAM....

O cap ! Yeah that's pretty normal here too....

Hey so i went browsing around , we have this brand LiteON , it's from Taiwan , is it any good?

And im still rather puzzle that Asus makes DVD-ROM , kinda weird if you ask me....do they actually make it themselves or is it OEM by someone

Basically i doubt Asus even produce anything anymore lately.
If not mistaken isn't their Mobo made by ECS and Foxconn ?
Their GPU well , actually all GPU brands are actually from NVIDIA / AMD , they just slap on their heatsinks and does a bit of tweak here and there....
Not sure bout Asus's Monitors and Sound Cards though....they seems to want to produce everything on the market lol..

LiteON, meh. It'll work. Had a few. These things seem to die almost no matter what brand. I have a Plextor now, few years old, haven't used it much. If I remember right I got mine at Fry's and it cost a good bit more than the other brands.

There are so many more differences than that... especially in the ROG line and GPUs.

I don't quite understand what your trying to say

LiteON, meh. It'll work. Had a few. These things seem to die almost no matter what brand. I have a Plextor now, few years old, haven't used it much. If I remember right I got mine at Fry's and it cost a good bit more than the other brands.

Yeah...i asked my Dad...he said " Stay clear from LiteON :salute: "

Anyways , Plextor :shock: I heard of them , they are getting popular here in my country. But so far they selling are SSD and I know them from their SSD...I didn't know they make DVD-ROM too

It's a Jap brand from what I read.

O yeah, what does 14X , 22X , 24X means ? Is it the speed ? If it is , what's the highest rating available ?

Back