• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some help with upgrades!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Are you actually upgrading or are you trying to buy something new entirely? What is your existing setup if actually trying to upgrade (existing mobo, psu, cpu, gpu) that will help us give specific advice. You can probably get a better card than that which will benefit you more I think.

i can only afford to upgrade parts, i havent got the money for an entirely new build.
existing setup:
mobo - Pegatron 2AB5
psu - 460W
cpu - i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz
gpu - GeForce GT 545 1Gb

what size monitor? a new GPU is what you want to spend the majority of your money on.

the mobo is probably junk, but that doesn't matter much. Sometimes dell/hp us proprietary connectors (between front panel and mobo OR between psu and mobo) on their motherboards so you should double check this before considering upgrading the mother board. I looked quickly, looks like the power connection is standard; can't really see which connector is for the front panel.

the PSU (power supply) might be junk too and you might want to consider a well built PSU. this will allow you to upgrade to a newer GPU and have enough juice (watts) for the new GPU. what brand/make/model is the power supply; you'll have to open the case to see. as for the GPU, probably a nvidia gtx670 or AMD's counterpart.

I can't tell what PCI express function that mother board supports, but since it's an H67 i'd assume pcie x16 2.0

And I'm an idiot, I misread your first post, sorry! I read you were looking at getting that, not you are upgrading from part. My mistake. For pure gaming, a GPU is going to usually be your best bet to upgrade. The i7 is definitely fine as is. Can you check to see what brand your PSU is?

Edit: Dtrunk posted just as I was. The 670's counterpart would be about the 7950 if memory serves, which generally runs a bit cheaper. I don't know the best site to order from in the U.K. to check prices specifically however.

Back