• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 burning out? Post here.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
I've heard a little about overvolted P4's burning out or overclocking more poorly with time. My 1.6A started at 160FSB 1.675V, but now I'm down to 140FSB 1.7V. This is with water cooling.

If anyone else has a P4 that is burning out, please post here. I'd like to see just how widespread this problem is.

Please note your voltage.

Has anyone had problems with this without overvolting?

Caffinehog said:
I've heard a little about overvolted P4's burning out or overclocking more poorly with time. My 1.6A started at 160FSB 1.675V, but now I'm down to 140FSB 1.7V. This is with water cooling.

If anyone else has a P4 that is burning out, please post here. I'd like to see just how widespread this problem is.

i would think that not too many at default voltage would have problems, and that is what warranty is for.:D also, intel absolutely does NOT condone overclocking, so what ever voltage you feed it befond the 1.5v, you are on your own. also, i am not trying to reck your thread, cause you want to see if other people have similiar problems, and i was just stating some facts.:D

Yep mine is toast.

My 2.26b died a coupledays ago. I am not sure what it died from since I had it vaopchilled to 1-2c and my voltage was mostly 1.6 and 1.65. I did have it at 1.7v for about 30 min but thats it. It started a two day downward instability spiral and just wouldn't boot when it reached the bottom.

krag said:
Yep mine is toast.

My 2.26b died a coupledays ago. I am not sure what it died from since I had it vaopchilled to 1-2c and my voltage was mostly 1.6 and 1.65. I did have it at 1.7v for about 30 min but thats it. It started a two day downward instability spiral and just wouldn't boot when it reached the bottom.
hey krag, i think that your chip died from condensation.:( with no heating element on the top, there is nothing to stop the water from hitting the chip.:( that top heating element is ther to heat up and evaporate the water coming down from the compressor hose. also, i have been gravy with just the silicone on the back of the mobo, i dont know what happened to pacino's board.:(

Yeah bro, when my new 2.26b comes in I am gonna put it back on. Dang...life sucks when yer stupid!

Caffinehog said:

okay, here's me jinxing myself bigtime.

i've had three nwoodies all running beyond stock voltages all on air only as high as 1.8v and all being overclocked to the brink for 1 to 2 months and i haven't had any decrease in performance. i am very aware of the potential for damage by overvolting so i am trying to keep my volts below 1.75..... all systems are GO!

knock on wood(ies)!

krag said:
Yep mine is toast.

Yo Krag!! .. mine died today!! :( .. actually, it still boots with very low vcore, like 1.2, 1.3 LOL! .. anyways, no RMA for me.. so I'll have one heck of an expensive keychain! .. just got myself 1.6 costies.. I'll post results later on .. LIFE :)

jd is going to vidpin my motherboard, and I was thinking the max I'm going to go is 1.65v.. or 1.6v. I want to keep this chip!

Yodums

Yo Krag!! .. mine died today!! .. actually, it still boots with very low vcore, like 1.2, 1.3 LOL! .. anyways, no RMA for me.. so I'll have one heck of an expensive keychain! .. just got myself 1.6 costies.. I'll post results later on .. LIFE

BRo...that SUCKS! What happend? Man, I really don't think these "b" chips can handle the oc action. I am gonna try one more time with my next one. But before I slam it with 1.6 or 1.65v I am gonna see how far it will go with 1.5v.

krag said:

BRo...that SUCKS! What happend? Man, I really don't think these "b" chips can handle the oc action. I am gonna try one more time with my next one. But before I slam it with 1.6 or 1.65v I am gonna see how far it will go with 1.5v.

Nothing really! .. it just died, just like that, I noticed the vcore kept dropping, 'till it reached 1.2v 1.3v where it should report 1.5v .. no boot, so I assumed it died .. I know for a fact that INTEL won't give a damn for my 2 weeks old chip .. Yes, the B chips are way too sensitive, could it be INTEL_Anti_OC_PLAN ? LOL! .. I just got myself 1.6 .. it's @ 2.4 with retails HSF and stock vcore... I'll wait for the new stepping, I'm not going to risk another B-Side Northy .. bleh!

PS. Just for the record, my older 2.2A ran for over 4 months with 1.85v (as high as 2.12v) @ 3.2Ghz... and it did not even crap out!

Last edited:
I'll wait for the new stepping, I'm not going to risk another B-Side Northy .. bleh!

On second thought...maybe I will just go default until the new steppings come out. I really don't want to buy another chip.

The board has some what a reboot problem with voltages above stock however stable when it's vidpined., and I'd like to be sticking to one voltage as well ;)

Yodums

OOOOOOOOOOOOO MAN!!!!!!!!!! this stinks...:(

These northies really seem to OC well but die just as fast:eh?:

I had my duron OCed for maybe 2 or more yrs now. Its only a 150mhz OC so not like 30-50% northy. but still it sure does last...

Im having the worst luck with my 1.8a too. It seems the more i mess with it the worse it gets. I use to be stable at 2.65, then 2.5, then 2.4 was a challenge. Now 2.4 is unstable. Man this stinks... this 1.8a might be my first victim of OCing. I'm tired of messing with this chip. I just want to get it back to running 2.4ghz stable then i will forget about it. I just hope it lasts longer then a few months:beer:

Any1 wanna start a thread on longest lasting northy?

AZN

AHHHHHH:( it appear that i have jinks myself for i have finally killed my CPU... o darn. it worked for almost a whole 2 weeks. All the removing and lapping and IHS removal and reinstalling the IHS. and this and that and just a none stop messing with the chip, it finally told me this is enough and now it died one me...
I guess i couldnt leave well enough alone so now the 1.8a will forever RIP. And NO... im not going to RMA it, so dont even tell me to.

I guess this is a good enough reason for the 2.26, or darn again.;) Well, i called my reseller they stock it and cost $252 retail. My question is this. since the chip is fairly new, will they be all the same? Its not like the 1.8a with different PROD CODEs is it? No matter which one i get it will all be the same right? If not can some1 tell me which one to ask for. If i must i will walk in the back room and pick out one thx...

PhobMX said:
so after all this babling what do you oc master recommend to us newbies to do? keep vcore below 1.7v and trust the chips stability?
I will tell u one thing not to do. Stop messing with it if its already running good... haha

Well im at work now. but i did stop by and pick up a 2.26b on the way... I cant wait to get home and stick this puppy in. I will let u guyz know how far i get.

AZN

Has anyone burned thier chip out at 1.6v or 1.65v? I want to vidpin but I'm either picking one of those two. Batboy has his voltage pretty high from what I understand.

Yodums said:
Has anyone burned thier chip out at 1.6v or 1.65v? I want to vidpin but I'm either picking one of those two. Batboy has his voltage pretty high from what I understand.
mine was not from Voltage. It was from AZN anger... I couldnt leave it alone so i F... it up. now i got the 2.26 it better be good or it will meet the same fate as the 1.8a

AZN

AZN said:

mine was not from Voltage. It was from AZN anger... I couldnt leave it alone so i F... it up. now i got the 2.26 it better be good or it will meet the same fate as the 1.8a

AZN

What do you mean anger? Did you slam an AX478 on there or something?

Back