• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about lexan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BinarySuperman

guys if i make a lexan case, will the static kill my mobo? if so how do i prevent this? and is lexan better then acrylic?

EDIT: also whats the best method of glueing lexan together?

No, it won't kill your board unless you rub it on the carpet alot, and yes, Lexan is easier to work with than acryllic.

Penguin4x4 said:
No, it won't kill your board unless you rub it on the carpet alot, and yes, Lexan is easier to work with than acryllic.

It can quite easily kill the mobo if sufficient static is built up.

If you're making your own case, obviously use metal standoffs, and you should ground at least one of them (The one closest to your AGP port, near the com ports should have a metal surround you can use).

Just wondering, would it matter since alot of wires on the PSU is ground? I also thought lexan/acrylic and plastic in general are insulators so they'll have problems conducting.

static lexan

maybe put the window together before you add the m/b or take your stuff out make the window put it together hold some aluminum foil at a 45 degree angle towards the alpha gona frya star and sing we are the world , and no staic will be there...along with people, animals, neighbors

The static build-up is a surface layer effect and is negligable. But just to be safe, use metal stand-offs or a metal motherboard tray (which makes constructiong alot easier). All of the stand-off holes on the motherboard are grounded and if they're attached to the case static won't be a problem.

ok 4 real staic stuff

ok so is lexan and acrylic both have static? and how do you get rid of it? these standoff thingss? do you touch the plastic while you are toucing a grounding point?<--confused

Re: ok 4 real staic stuff

kickb0xer said:
ok so is lexan and acrylic both have static? and how do you get rid of it? these standoff thingss? do you touch the plastic while you are toucing a grounding point?<--confused

The stand-off are tapped right into the plastic so you can attach the motherboar with standard screws. You can remove the surface layer static by wiping down the sheets with window cleaner or plastic cleaning solution.

thx Cappy Slug but 4give the ingornace

ok....what is tapped? as in tapped into the plastic? are we talking about a mod inwhich the m/b is attached to a window?

Re: thx Cappy Slug but 4give the ingornace

kickb0xer said:
ok....what is tapped? as in tapped into the plastic? are we talking about a mod inwhich the m/b is attached to a window?

BinarySuperSaiyan is considering building a clear case. So he was worried about static on the surface layer of the plastic. Which won't be a problem if he uses some sort of metal to support the motherboard.

Re: thx Cappy Slug but 4give the ingornace

kickb0xer said:

Tapping is drilling a hole, then threading it, which is what you'll have to do to the Lexan sheet the motherboard is attached to via standoffs.

BTW Captain Slug, that avatar sure brings back some good memories! Where'd you dig that fossil up? =)_)

Re: Re: thx Cappy Slug but 4give the ingornace

Über~PhLuBB said:
BTW Captain Slug, that avatar sure brings back some good memories! Where'd you dig that fossil up? =)_)

Pete and Pete is being re-aired (all seasons and short clips) on Noggin every night at 7:30 and 11:00.

Mr. Tastee Rulez!

Me and my sister bought a TV capture card (and a 40GB Hard Drive) just to record Pete and Pete, and Daria into MPEG. She's currently burning a couple dozen CDs so we can watch them on any computer.

close bro and sis

feakyness??? lol j/k thnx for help with the tapping i was wondering cause i was adding a window but i'll have a reg metal atx so im sure ill be fine

Back