• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I get to test 2 new 1.8a Northies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
A buddy of mine just bought two brand new 1.8a Northies from newegg.com (arrived 8-14-02). He is building two systems, one for himself that he wants to run at 2.4 gig and the other is for a lady who does NOT want to overclock.

He's still waiting on the rest of the components, but asked me if I wanted to try out these CPUs for him, so he can keep the best one for himself. Being a nice guy, I told him that I would be more than happy to help him out. :)

Both are 1.8a Malaysia SL63X with a pack date of 07-14-02 and batch code of the one I have right now is L221B623. The other is only 5 digits different on last serial number part of the batch code, so for all practical purposes, they are identical.

It will be interesting to see how they both overclock. I have one of the new 1.8a's that I will test tonight and I probably won't be able to test the other until later this weekend. I'll post results here later tonight when I see how this one does.

I will be using my same exact setup that is listed in my signature, but only swapping the 2.0a for the new 1.8a chips. I'm assuming the new 1.8a CPUs will do better than my old 2.0a. I wonder if the lady might consider swapping her 1.8a for my 2.0a, since she doesn't want to overclock? Hmmmm.

Batboy, I got a new one from Newegg yesterday (Pack date 7/23/02). Didn't do too good. Currently at 2.258Ghz with 1.6v in bios which you know undervolts to around 1.55v with the Abit Th7-II. I can't boot into Windows with 133 Fsb with 3x.

What bios you using?

Awww batboy I was expecting results hehe! I think she'll consider the trade, but wouldn't want to jump to that first without results ;)

Jgtdragon, sounds like something ain't right with your system. What do you have for CPU and case cooling? What is your load CPU temp? What BIOS are you using? I am using Mr. Natural's 7D BIOS and highly recommend it. I tried 4 or 5 different BIOS files and found the 7D is the most overclocking friendly of the bunch.

What are your BIOS settings. Try using the PCI "fix" setting and differential setting of "4". At first, I would stay with the 3X memory setting (300) like you are doing, at least until you can get it stable. What operating system are you using? I've had much better success with overclocking and with stability if I reformat my harddrive and do a clean Windows install.

Last, if your temps are ok, you might need to raise voltage up a little to reach 2.4 gig. It's not uncommon to need 1.6v or 1.65v actually voltage for those 1.8a to hit 2.4 gig, when they're new. Sometimes, the thermal paste "sets" after a few days and the CPU "breaks-in" after a few weeks and then you can overclock more (or at least lower your voltage a notch).

I think some of you are putting way too much stock on batch numbers and pack dates. I know that it does make some differences in yield, but I'm starting to hear people claiming cooling is less important than pack dates/batch codes.

That's pure BS in my opinion. I've been overclocking for about 5 years now and cooling is the single most important factor in this hobby (or sport depending on your perspective).

Meanwhile, getting back to the 1.8a CPUs mentioned in the title... I'm still not home yet, so hang on guys, I haven't tested out this 1.8a yet. My buddy's goal is 2.4 gig with no more than 1.6v, but my goal is 2.7 gig at 1.7v... BWAHAHAHAHA.

Jgtdragon, sounds like something ain't right with your system. What do you have for CPU and case cooling? What is your load CPU temp? What BIOS are you using? I am using Mr. Natural's 7D BIOS and highly recommend it. I tried 4 or 5 different BIOS files and found the 7D is the most overclocking friendly of the bunch.

What are your BIOS settings. Try using the PCI "fix" setting and differential setting of "4". At first, I would stay with the 3X memory setting (300) like you are doing, at least until you can get it stable. What operating system are you using? I've had much better success with overclocking and with stability if I reformat my harddrive and do a clean Windows install.

Last, if your temps are ok, you might need to raise voltage up a little to reach 2.4 gig. It's not uncommon to need 1.6v or 1.65v actually voltage for those 1.8a to hit 2.4 gig, when they're new. Sometimes, the thermal paste "sets" after a few days and the CPU "breaks-in" after a few weeks and then you can overclock more (or at least lower your voltage a notch).

Thanks for the response.
I got an 1.8a (from newegg) inside an Antec 1030 with 2 intakes and 2 outtake fans. I am running windows XP Pro and using Mr. Natural 7D bios.

Its been warm here. So idel temp is 45c and full load is 54c with AVC Sunflower hsf.

AGP/PCI is fixed. Can't boot into Windows with 133fsb x 3x with even 1.7v. :(

I think it might be a suck overclocking Motherboard (tried a different chip another 1.8a an same thing). Thinking trying aother bios. Maybe Offical 7C?

Currently at 125Fsb X 4 memory @ 2258hmz with 1.6v

Ok kids, I tested out the first 1.8a (see first post for details). I'm a little disappointed. I promised not to do any volt mods, so my BIOS voltage limit was 1.7v (1.62v actual). The most I could get out of it and still be 100% stable was 2.53 gig (140 FSB). CPU load temp was 44-46 degrees with my Swifty and AS-III. For being fairly low voltage, I guess that's not that bad though, maybe a little better than my 2.0a.

Since my buddy only wants to run at 2.4 gig using an Abit BD7, I tested it throughly using that speed too. If I left the BIOS setting at default voltage (1.43v actual), the system would boot and sometimes go into Windows (but would soon crash). Found that I needed to set the BIOS at 1.55v (1.47 actual), before it was stable in Windows. But I had to use 1.6v (1.53 actual) before it was completely stable. I ran Sandra burn-in wizard for 20 minutes at 2.4 gig.

My buddy will be happy, he was scared it wouldn't make 2.4 gig with low voltage. If I wired this puppy, I'm sure I could get 2.7 gig out of it if I could run an actual 1.75v (of course I'd have to wire wrap it). Does NOT look like this batch of CPUs are 3 gig material though. Think I'll hold out for the new stepping due to come out in October. Here's the Sandra screen shot.

Attachments

• sandra1800at2530.jpg
    sandra1800at2530.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 153
jdmcnudgent said:
i have the same batch, sl63x, and it is ok, but not too swift, not as good as ras' chip, maybe his will be better.:D

i haven't shown off the chip in a while, jd: here's cpuid after 3 rock solid weeks!

Attachments

• 1.8a.jpg
    1.8a.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 151
JudgeDredd said:
Ras, you should stick a pelt and some watercooling on that sucka. You'd probably get 3 GHz easy.

dredd - that's prolly in the future for this chip! i agree with ya that it isnt done yet! :D

We hardcore overclockers sure are greedy folks, huh? We are never happy and always want more. My buddy that owns the 1.8a I tested is tickled pink. He feels like he got a wonderful major bargain. Paid $160 for a 1.8a that easily does the same speed as a $360 2.4 Northy (which means he saved $200), he's lovin' it. Here I was disappointed it wouldn't do 2.7 gig at 1.7v. I think we sometimes lose a litle perspective on things in our blind quest for more speed. By the time we buy the peltier and water cooling equipment to get it running at top speed, Intel releases a new chip that does the same speed for the same price we had to spend on all the cooling. :)

batboy said:
We hardcore overclockers sure are greedy folks, huh? We are never happy and always want more.

i agree. :D actually, i've of course been happy with my 1.8a and i'm probably too cheap to invest in exotic cooling. but the fun is trying to get just a little faster without blowing anything up... at least i'm not doing the same thing with cars or motorcycles!

That's pretty good batboy. Yes I do agree sometimes we go too far and expect so much even if the outcome is very little! :D Burn in - keep pushing.

Can't burn it in or do anything else now. I gave it back to him today. Even though I promised my buddy I would do no volt mods, I was really tempted to drop a wire into the #3 and #4 VID pin holes. He was supposed to bring in the second 1.8a, so I could play with it over the weekend, but he "forgot". Not sure I'm going to get my hands on it now since I'll be out of town at a conference half of next week. The moral of the story is, even the SL63X 1.8a will easily do 2.53 gig. The 2.53 gig Northwoods cost nearly 3X what a 1.8a does. I say it's still a good bargain.

Back