• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best thing since fried okra.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jwhitehorn

Ok, i just bought me a AX-7 and the all wonderful Vantec Tornado. This thing is GREAT! The below system ran stable, but at 55C full load. I didnt want to raise it any higher until i got my stuff in. Well now that its in i am trying to find my highest stable....but right now i am testing 1265MHz (11*115) and my case is 31C, CPU idle is 32C, and CPU full load is........32C!!!! This is wonderful. Its not that loud, just sounds like someone is continually vacuming your room :D . No, but seriously, it really isnt much to put up with considering the great cooling ability of this set up. OH, i forgot to mention i am using Artic Silver 3, that stuffs great also. The price sounds like alot....but from what i read, the 3 gram one should last for 20-30 cpus. The price of all that, total, with shipping from KD Computers was 51 bucks. Ya cant get better cooling for that kinda money. I love it!

Yes, something is definitely wrong. Only 1c difference between case and cpu is unheard of, and there's no way that you're getting same temp at idle and load.

You do have a great aircooler there, but the temps you're reporting would be great for water cooling. And even phase changers can show a difference between idle and load temps.

nihili

I have the same heatsink but with a different fan and my case temps are 22-25c and cpu idle 27c and full load 33c. I have alot more cfm going through my case. 254mm 600cfm case fan.

res0r9lm said:
thats wierd. something is wrong there. case temp 31 and cpu 32???

guys, you're forgetting to realize that the thermistor that reads the mobo temp is in a corner of the board most likely that barely ever gets cool air. with a thermometer, there is a 4C difference between the thermistor under my sound card and the air thats getting pumped to my cpu. that means he could have 28C case and 32cpu which aint even close to unheard of.

Well I'm happy that you got better temps than your last setup but it does seem too good to be true. Just make sure you dont fool yourself & burn that chip up.
JasonKosi said:
That would be somewhere around a 0.017 C/W.

I don't think water cooling has broken the 0.10 c/w mark except in rare (Maskedgeek) circumstances.
I hope your not basing any of your figures on unreliable temp sensors. Remember that when you compute for C/W you need lab quality tools to get clear readings & not just your average thermistor/compu nurse or all your computations are in error. Maskedgeek did not break the 0.10 C/W, ask him what HOOT found out about his block.

I just ordered that exact combo too, cost me $80 Canadian though.

If the system temp reading is from the northbridge temp sensor, then it's hardly surprising that it's close to the CPU, the real ambient is probably a few degrees lower in that case.

Dunno if anybody has messed with cars and can hear the difference between a carby with and without an air filter on it, but there is quite a difference in noise, I'm gonna put a big filter over the mouth of the vantec here when it arrives and see what that does.

Road Warrior

Back