• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quiet fan for the AX-7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bourbon

Registered
I am currently using a dragon orb 3+ to cool my XP 1800+. The idle temps are 38 and at full load it hits 44. My only problem is with the noise. When I'm trying to work on this computer, its unbearable. I am planning on replacing it with the thermaltake AX-7. What is the quietest fan I could get that would keep the same temperatures that I have now? Would a vantec stealth cut it? Thanks.

Those temps are wonderful. My problem with my AX-7 and Vantec Stealth is that my idle is nearly 55C. Maybe I need to turn the fan around but it's extremely hot. If only there was a better way (just as quiet) to cool the CPU. I'd be interested to hear other people's comments.

So you have the exact setup I was thinking of getting? What are the odds..? 55 C is too hot for me, I'm willing to use a fan thats louder than a stealth, but it needs to be relatievly quiet.

I guess I should mention my setup. I'm running a 1600+, have oc'ed the memory timings to 175 but still running the chip at 1400MHz, kx7 raid, 256MB samsung pc2700. My ambient room temp is around 80F or more, getting up to 90F+ on hot days, so that also contributes to the hot air. Still, there has to be a better way or I might be missing something.

that fan looks nice penquin, 36 cfm and 29 db... Does anyone know how db scales (30 db is not 50% more than 20 db)

yea....I can't find a 80 to 120mm adapter..I want to get one and take off my noise 49cfm 37db fan and switch it to a 120mm 50-60cfm and like 30db-25db....

Decibals are logorithmic. a 6dB sound would be twice as loud as a 3dB sound, but a 9db sound would be twice as loud as a 6dB sound.

They are thermally controlled, noise ranges(SmartFanII) from Stealth to Tornado depending on temps. Doubles as a siren, should temps get too high. :D

The AX-7 + the Sanyo comes out to $47.... I'd prefer to spend around $30. How big of a temp difference would a dragon orb 3+ and a AX-7 with a stealth have?

Yes, with the AX7 and Stealth you should run 2-7c cooler. The Dragon Orb 3 is a pathetic excuse for a CPU heatsink, although its great for a video card.:D

If your sure about this (running that much cooler than I am now would be incredible) I'll order it tonight.

Back