• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI Addiction

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burning Phoenix

I recently passed my 1 year anniversary for the SETI project and wonder why i still keep doing this. My computers run 24/7 for the sake of keeping wu's processing. I often want to give my systems a break and turn them off for a few hours but no i continue to push them. Also i can not get myself to turn off the seti driver , shut down and install my peltier in fear i'll lose a few WU's. This in return will result in people passing me or losing my steady pace up the ranks and I know I can't let that happen! I feel like SETI has taken control of my computers. I had a hard time stopping so i could seti bench my P4 2.4. I'm compelled to build another system right away but i know seti will eventaully take it over also.

Is it me or do some of you feel this way?

I'll bet many of us feel this way. I kills me to have to shut down we I got out of town! :D

Cy

You're Not Alone!

This is my second go with SETI, I initially started sometime in 1999 and crunched intermittantly for about a year. When I got away from it then there was no feelings what so ever. Then in January of 2002 I found OverClockers Team and got reinvolved and now I'm just like you. I really kind of think it is as much an addiction to this team as it is to SETI itself. I really believe in the project and what it's doing but I think I could walk away from that if need be, but the TEAM, has got it's hooks into me BAD! I'm sure the withdrawl symtoms from seperation from the TEAM could cause longlasting physical and mental damage.

Just my ranting!

SkyHook

Your post sounds as though you think something is bad or unusual about how you feel - really has me puzzled :rolleyes:

TC said:
Your post sounds as though you think something is bad or unusual about how you feel - really has me puzzled :rolleyes:

NO nothing like that!

I am kinda stuck trying to decide whether to get back into extreme overclocking and testing or keep running SETI to gain status in the ranks. I want to overclock as high as i can but i'm afraid to leave it running 24/7 with seti and worry about coming home to a locked up computer. I was going to stop at 2500 wu to play around with overclocking but found myself looking for a higher stopping point. Next point was the top 100 then top 1% and so on. Each time i checked out the ranks I saw myself gaining on certain people or others begining to catch up. I know they are watching the ranks also so i feel i have to give them a run for the higher ranks.

PSSSSTTT: DOn't say anything but but next goal is to pass DEEZ!

Last edited:
Thats part of what having a Farm is about :)

You can pick ONE rig to mess with at a time, and still rack up wus, while shooting for the Ultimate OC, and so forth.....without falling too far in the ranks.

Of course this also means continually adding machines, because once a rig is done you must leave it alone to crunch...........:D

I'm glad to hear someone else is going through the same thing as I am. I'm so obsessed with this that I've had several big fights with my dad. I couldn't believe it myself, we were yelling at each other, but we always come to a compromise, well more like he gives in and let me do whatever I want to. I have 3 computers running SETI, I used to play The Sims a lot, now I find myself restraining from playing too much because it uses up precious CPU time for SETI.

You are not alone. g

I was actually being sarcastic. I feel the same way. I've got a dozen computers running full time, yet I freak out about having to shut one off for even a few minutes.

Burning Phoenix said:
I recently passed my 1 year anniversary for the SETI project and wonder why i still keep doing this. My computers run 24/7 for the sake of keeping wu's processing. I often want to give my systems a break and turn them off for a few hours but no i continue to push them. Also i can not get myself to turn off the seti driver , shut down and install my peltier in fear i'll lose a few WU's. This in return will result in people passing me or losing my steady pace up the ranks and I know I can't let that happen! I feel like SETI has taken control of my computers. I had a hard time stopping so i could seti bench my P4 2.4. I'm compelled to build another system right away but i know seti will eventaully take it over also.

Is it me or do some of you feel this way?
hmmmmm.......that sounds familiar............?? u r not talking 'bout me, aren't u?? :D :D

Shutdown a PC thats running SETI?

Only for upgrades, or a little tweaking.
And then, I wait until it finishes the WU its working on.

Am I addicted?

Have you ever heard anyone say:
"I have way too many WU's!"

Got 2 more MB's being delivered. :D
Can never have enough crunching power!

I don't have a problem shutting down and working on a system in order to gain even more WU's after I'm done. Trying to find the limits can make me feel guilty when a system locks up and I lose crunching time. Yet, it does show the importance of building stable systems. Having a slightly faster system doesn't pay when the few minutes of gained performance goes down the tubes due to a lockup that costs hours.

Burning Phoenix said:

PSSSSTTT: DOn't say anything but but next goal is to pass DEEZ!

Your almost there but I'm kickin it back in gear again tomorrow....had a few boxes out last week while I was out of the country and believe me its killing me not to have everything running full steam right now

Don't feel bad,when I first heard about SETI I thought,what a bunch of loosers:D
But then I started hanging on this site and that made all the difference in the world.My 3 machines never get turned off unless I have to upgrade or something fails,and when this happens,I go into a frenzzzzy,you would think I was losing Millions of dollars the way I act..My wife says:)
So I am hooked on this site and on SETI..These guys on this site RULE Big Time...
This is simply the best site out there in my opinion..
:D :D

I was just looking for a cooling fan for my car radiator when I found this site. I must have stayed up for 12 hours reading every article on the front page. Then after those were all finished I came to the forums and haven't looked back since.

Back