• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat sink worth...$$$$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hey that link has 'mailto:' at the beginning perhaps you should fix that =)

oh yeah as far as your question, thermaltake isnt really the best company. the thermalright ax-7 and the thermalright slk-800 are pretty much the two best heatsinks on the market right now. the ax-7 is light, its aluminum with a copper core, the slk-800 is fully copper(read:heavy). the ax-7 costs less (about $25 bucks). the slk-800 costs more(45 bucks), it also cools a few degrees better than the ax-7. it also has the ability to use 60, 70 and 80mm fans. so if you want the best, go for the slk-800, if you want easily the best deal go for the ax-7. neither of these badboys comes with a fan so you have to buy that too, but they are the best heatsinks on the market, anyone will tell you that.

no..however thermalright makes another hsf for the p4 socket 478 called the AX478

get the thermalright AX478 and a 50cfm sunon fan- there great!! There one forsale in the classifydes but i called it :)

john240sx said:
thermalright has a SLK478 comming out soon. it's the P4 version of the SLK800.
just thought i would let you know
any idea when?

You should check out the heatsink comparisons on the main page. It can be very helpful.

FWIW, I use a Volcano 6cu by Tt, and it's just fine if you lap the HS first. Also, I put on a better fan. One plus about many of the Tt units is that they're relatively low cost and can be modded to work quite well. Also relativel quiet.

On the ratings list, the Tt Volcano 7+ was only .01 C/W worse than the AX478. (According to Tt's website, max dBA is 47 dBA, and not 71 dBA as listed on the comparison, which appears to be a typo.)

Best of luck, and have fun in your selection! :) -- Paul

Demont said:
oh yeah as far as your question, thermaltake isnt really the best company. the thermalright ax-7 and the thermalright slk-800 are pretty much the two best heatsinks on the market right now. the ax-7 is light, its aluminum with a copper core, the slk-800 is fully copper(read:heavy). the ax-7 costs less (about $25 bucks). the slk-800 costs more(45 bucks), it also cools a few degrees better than the ax-7. it also has the ability to use 60, 70 and 80mm fans. so if you want the best, go for the slk-800, if you want easily the best deal go for the ax-7. neither of these badboys comes with a fan so you have to buy that too, but they are the best heatsinks on the market, anyone will tell you that.

Just a note. He linked to the AX-7+ , which is all copper. The AX-7(no plus) is aluminum with the copper insert. The Thermaltake's come with fans. Not sure about what comes with the SLK-800.

The thermalright AX-7 is not a lightweight since it uses so much aluminum and has a fairly thick copper heatspreader base and uses all 6 lugs. There is no Ax-7+, it is the volcano7+ that you are thinking of. There is no P4 version of the Slk-800 but you can get an adapter for p4 and get a 462 heatsink to work on a p4. The ax 478 is basically a AX-7 but just a bit larger and for p4. Hope this clears up some info.

I dunno, Thermaltake has been there for me for a long time.

The Volcano 7+ has performed in systems that I've built very well. I built a system with one of them for my boss that runs at 35 degrees celcius under full load. The only thing is it's underclocked ( XP1500@ 940Mhz) and the fan runs full bore.

The Volcano 7+ is not for the feint of heart... it is LOUD at WOT! it sounds like a hairdryer, if you get one plan on mounting the fan speed switch on the outside where you can slow it down when you want to watch DVD's and listen to MP3's.

Bottom line that I've seen... Thermaltake is innovative and for most applications a perfectly acceptable option... I'd go for H20 cooling if I were interested in something better.

i have used the V7+ and its an excelent HSF. however due to the cost of it i will recomend the better performing-cheaper
AX-7

Back