• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob to folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seal

hi all, i'm new to all of this stuff and decided to check out this folding buisiness, i dont know much about it yet but it looks really interesting. I've installed it and put under the team number team 32. is that right? my name on it is "Seal"

Is that all i need to do? what does WU mean and what happens when it finishes (gets to 100%)?

also i registered on the http://www.pickleloaf.com/exp/index.php website but i typed in the wrong name, can you delete the account so i can sign up agen? thanks. the username is eel and the email is . i want to sign up as seal.

Does that mean i'm now part of the team? is it really as simple as that?

Thanks
seal

Last edited:
Welcome to the team seal:D A WU is a work Unit. there are frames in a work unit usually 100 but sometimes only ten. Work Units vary in the time it takes to process them so they are worth different point values. When they finish it will download a new one and start folding it. You will have to PM Ploaf about removing your typo account. If you havent already joined the contest click the link in my sig. you should also click the FAQ link it has a lot of information:D Fold on!!!!!

you were part of the team as soon as you typed in that you were folding for team 32...CONGRATULATIONS:D ...and i suggest you repost in the contest thread in this forum :)...hmmm...seems kendan beat me to the explanations....WELCOME:p

cool thanks guys, i've just pm'd the person.

also how long does it take to process 1 WU on average? My comp is pretty slow (p3 800)

it depends on what WU you got. go here and download EM3. then run it and point it to the fah exe. it will let you monitor what WU you are folding and give an estimate on the time it will take to complete:D

cool. 5hrs left, and i'm on 2% woowoo! and its on p180_enghomeoGB i've read that its hooj and takes ages to process.

Also, if i want to run more than one computer on my account is this possible? just load it up onto the computer and put the same team name and same username in? will it total up the tally ok on their website?

thanks
seal

seal said:
cool. 5hrs left, and i'm on 2% woowoo! and its on p180_enghomeoGB i've read that its hooj and takes ages to process.

Also, if i want to run more than one computer on my account is this possible? just load it up onto the computer and put the same team name and same username in? will it total up the tally ok on their website?

thanks
seal

that doesnt sound right, im on a PIII@864 and it takes me 48 hours to do a P180_enghomeoGB

my mistake it says 87 hours remaining... oops.

you know electron microscope, do you have to run it alongside the main folding@home program at the same time? also whats this add box option do? whats it for and how do i set it up... cheers.

one more question too, if i need to restart my computer whilst its in the middle of a frame will it have to redo that entire frame?

seal said:
one more question too, if i need to restart my computer whilst its in the middle of a frame will it have to redo that entire frame?
yes - it's a pain in the *** with big Work Units

Rich

Back