• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bender's Basement Skunkworks :eek:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bender

Mysteriously Changing Senior
In Thelemac's Basement Eating the Chickens
Building the case and installing the chiller from conception to finish took a scant 12 days. My bud Nate (mr spec) and I were sitting around with nothing to do. I mensioned the idea of making an Acrylic case and sticking my chiller inside for cooling. Nate agreed that it would be one tight rig if we actually decided to build it. Since we were being altogether to lazy that day we decided to make a few measurements, go up to the local Home Depot and buy some acrylic to get the project underway. Well Home Depot 1 had the acrylic but they had no way of cutting it. Thankfully the native lurking around the corner knew that another nearby Home Depot would cut acrylic to any sizes I would like. Off to Home Depot Nater and I went. This one indeed had the cutting tools so I purchased the Acrylic there. The very helpful employee was able to cut me all the panels I would need using 2 sheets of 24x24” .25 wall acrylic. Once the acrylic was cut we flew home as fast as possible to begin gluing the rig together.

This is the beginning of construction. The motherboard is a mATX Asus P4S333-m so it looks a little dwarfed in comparison to the case. If you look to the left of the pic you see the core part of the chiller.

DCP_1329.JPG

Here is the case with most of the panels glued in place. Construction went slowly since I had work full time. In this pic you see 2 172mm Comair Rotron Major fans which I didn’t end up using for this case. They are being saved for yet another project.

DCP_1359.JPG

Roughly 1 week into the project I had finally finished the basic case design. I wasn’t completely set on the location of a few things like the HD and the chiller circuit boards. After test fitting the raw chiller with its components I decided I could probably squeeze everything into the front section of the case. I stuck the HD in the bottom of the case for convenience. If I change to a normal ATX board I’ll have to put it elsewhere. This entire week I spend modding the case and readying the chiller components to be placed inside. Wiring was fun. I ended up wiring the chiller and Maxi-Jet pump so they both turn on with the PC’s power. Installing the chiller went smoothly accept for the fact that I forgot to plug in the front LCD. I had to remove the chiller just for that. Lastly I put all the PC components into the case. Unfortunately during the process I dropped my Sanyo 24x burner. I think its toasted but I’ll have to take a look under the hood. After countless trips to Ace, Home Depot, Lows, and Radio shack I have a working PC cooled by a Solid State chiller inside an Acrylic case!

DCP_1438.JPG

DCP_1436.JPG

DCP_1433.JPG

With water temp set to 20c my P4 @ 2.75 GHz is 32c FULL LOAD! I can go all the way down to 4c water temp but I still need insulation for the waterblock area. I’ll have to order neoprene from Dangerden since no place local stocks the stuff. CPU temps with 4c water temp should be 20ish. The chiller specs say it can handle 225 watts at 0c Delta T or 100 watts at -20c Delta T so this could even cool a dualie quite nicely. Looks alone would have sold me on this project but it has performance to boot!

Last edited:
Nice job my friend!!! How much was the PLEXI? (and what did you use to glue it togethere?)- and why dint you use the 172mm instead of the 120 (i think)?
Spyder

whoa someone finaly build a solid state chiller that works where did you get that? personaly ill never trade it for one of my systems id just like to know more about it

Spyder: the Acrylic was $62 with tax for 2 sheets. I used the 120mm fans because thats what was on the chiller.

ssjwizard: the chiller is a Thermotek T252P capable of taking 100 watts of heat down to -20c Delta T or 225 watts down to 0c Delta T. Here is a link to the company Linky~

$2000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have to be a pelt fanatic to pay that. You could buy 4 commercial on-die refrigeration units for that which would be capable of cooling 600W down to -30C.

That is the only thing that has been stopping me from buying plexi; cuz I don't have tools to cut it.

BTW, is it possible to use a hole saw/drill in the .25" plexi?

Ben – I have been watching your progress since you first registered on the forums. You really hit the big time with this rig! :cool: Very, very slick. :D :D :D

Colin said:
Ben – I have been watching your progress since you first registered on the forums. You really hit the big time with this rig! :cool: Very, very slick. :D :D :D

Seriously I have been watching you since day 1! You have earned my utter respect.

I decided to do something quazi stupid / insane. I still dont have cpu insulation but I wanted to see what the chiller could do. I set the chiller way down to 4c and watched the waterblock like hawk. It got all the way down to 7.5c before I chickened out from the slight condensation forming on the block. CPU temps read 26c but that may be off concidering this is Asus Probe reading the temps. With some neoprene insulation I'm hoping to get cpu load temps under 20c! Oh almost forgot; with water set to 15c and voltage set to 1.8 my P4 2.2 will finally hit 3 GHz!

Next thing on my list is to add a 226 watt tec and cdrom sized PSU to power it. I know the chiller cant handle the insane heat generated by the TEC and CPU but I have that covered. I'll be using a heater core with a 172mm Comair rotron Major along with the chiller. The heater core will come directly after the hot water exits the waterblock. After the heater core does its job it will send its water into the chiller for processing! This way the chiller will still be able to deliver cold water to the waterblok. This project wont happen anytime soon. I'll be swamped with school so the soonest you can expect to see something like this will be next summer.

Dude, You are Hardcore Really try a couple heatercore Sandwiched in Three 120mm fans. Just a thought? :eh?:

This is the crazist thing I have ever seen anyone do "You Da Man"!!

Back