• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need your opinion on my temps.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pogs

Registered
Need your opinions. Sorry for the long post but I'm really confused. My systems specs are as follows:

Asus CUSL2 Mobo
Celeron(T) [email protected] 146FSB (for now until I sort this out)
Swiftech MCXC370 w/ 31cfm fan and AS3
Antec SX830 w/ 4 80mm fan
2 x Crucial 256MB PC133 CAS2
SB Live Platinum
GF2 GTS
1 x 30GB Maxtor
1 x 40GB WD
Lite-On 24X10X40
Linksys NIC

At the moment, I'm getting 45C idle and 50C at full load (1.6G) using MBM 5.2. My ambient is usually 23C (A/C is on 24/7). In the BIOS, the cpu temp never goes above 48C.

No matter what I do I cannot get my idle and load temps to drop below what they are currently now. I have 2 80mm fan up front blowing air in and another 2 at the back sucking hot air out (about 30cfm each). Case temp never goes above 29C and usually hovers at 28C.

I tried the CPU Diode Calibration from the Arctic Silver website and I'm getting a value of -11C which I do not know if it is even correct. When I switch the FSB to the lowest setting (66FSB which drops the cpu to 733Mhz) my cpu idle and load temps stays constant at 44C. I would've thought it would drop below the 40s. If I increase the FSB from 147 up to 156, the idle and load temps slightly increases between 2C-3C only.

I also stuck a temp probe between the HSF and the chip with the probe touching the side of the Intel Heat Spreader and at full load the temp never goes above 39C. Hope i haven't lost you with all these numbers. :)

With this setup that I have, is it normal for my cpu temps to be always 20C above ambient? I really don't know which numbers to believe. I've even tried using a 50cfm fan to blow cold air in and the cpu temps never change. Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

Thanks.

Well, are you using Arctic Silver? Did you apply a very thin layer not a thick one? I think the main problem is airflow, it's too weak. It should be only 2-3 degrees above ambient.

Try looking into more powerful 80mm's like the Sunon 50, and 4 of them would equal 200cfm. If you are willing to do some case modding, you can add 120mm fans with that. I run 2 120mm YSTECH 131cfm, and they're great along with other fans.

Make sure you had some AS on the tip of your diode.

Hi Pogs
There comes a time in case cooling that no matter what fans you have sucking in & exhausting out the internal case temps become starved of the esential air required around the H/Sink-Fan-cpu area! If you follow what I mean??
The ambient temp. (room) can not change much more than a few degrees under normal conditions. Therfore the air in side the case must be almost the same temp. maybe a couple of degrees higher if air is passing thro. I have found from experence that you are better off with slow fans (about 27CFM) 2 front & 2 rear work better, so allowing the H/Sink Fan to do the job of cooling the cpu @ higher RPM`s & a greater CFM

Acko

Yodums, Acko:

Thanks for the replies. I played with it a little bit more and I've come to the conclusion that the diode temp readings are really off by 11C. I followed the instructions for the CPU Diode Calibration step by step on 3 different HSFs and I got the same error value each time when I ran the tests.

I searched a bit and read that a lot of these CUSL2s (and Asus mobos in general, too) report temps higher than they should be.

With those results, I'm positive my setup is adequate. Though, I might replace my 80mm case fans with Vantec Stealths to keep the noise level down a minimum.

So my temps should be as follows:

Idle : 45C - 11C = 34C
Load: 50C- 11C = 39C

Thanks again. :)

Back