• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making temp sensing fan always on...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OSUmaxx

I have a temp sensing fan that I'd like to run full blast all the time. The temp probe is just wired in parallel with the power and ground. If I was to just remove the probe, would this allow the fan to always run full speed?

From what I've seen, no. You need to physically short the leads of the thermistor. Just connect a wire between the two leads of the thermistor. -- Paul

I thought about that, but I ended up thinking it wouldn't work to short them. If you do that, you're effectively connecting the pos. and neg. wires together. This would short the fan, as electricity always takes the path of least resistance. Since they are in parallel with the normal power leaes, couldn't I just eliminate the thermistor circuit, making it like a normal fan?

Are you sure it's not wired in series? My understanding is that thermistors work by varying their resistance based on their temp. As they get hotter the resistance drops allowing more current to get to the fan which in turn lets it spin faster.

Maximouse said:
I can not imagine a circuit where the sensor is mounted parallel.

What type of fan are you using?

Ahh, you're right. The neg wires are soldered together (obviously), but the pos. wires for the power and thermistor are separate. So would it be a good idea to just connect them? Its a galaxy fan that hits 50ish cfm @ full speed.

That worked perfectly. The temps dropped a couple of degrees with that mod too. I still think I'll go for a higher CFM fan though.

Back