• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan connections

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NismoGTR

Hi

Need some advice (as usual!)

I got a Sunon 80mm fan on my AX-7. It has a 4pin molex connector to get power. I also got a Sunon 80mm as an exhaust.

Can I connect the sunon to the mobo, so I can see the fan's rpm etc, and still get the power from the molex?
What do I have to do, in order to see the rpm?

Im sure I seen a post about it, but cant seem to find it now.
Oh yeah, AX-7 is great. Thanks for the advice to get it. My CPU idle temps use to be 50*C+ with stock hsf. After applying the AS3 and heatsink, its idling at 38*C, straight away!

Any advice appreciated.

NismoGTR
:burn:

Like sniperboy said, the fan has to have a rotation (yellow) lead that plugs into the motherboard fan header for you to see the rpm.

Hi,

Right, at least Ive learned its the yellow lead, that follows the rpm!
Ill keep that in mind for the next fan!

Thanks for the responses. Much Appreciated.

NismoGTR

NismoGTR said:
Hi,

Right, at least Ive learned its the yellow lead, that follows the rpm!
Ill keep that in mind for the next fan!

Thanks for the responses. Much Appreciated.

NismoGTR

Keep in mind that the 12volt lead is also yellow; in addition keep in mind the RPM lead can sometimes be blue.;)

Well my old super orb has blue leads, and those aren't 'too' old. Just making sure he has all the information.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

My CPU temps have went way funny over the last few days.
After first installing AX7 and artic silver3 my CPU temps were 38*C, with a case temp 28-29*C
Now its dropped to 35.5*C and case temp of 27*C, and has stayed there for about 2 days.

Can anyone please advice me of any good fan, which will allow me to connect to mobo for rpm monitoring, And , power of the molex connector rather than mobo..ie has the seperate 3 pin connector for mobo, and molex connector for power.

Any input appreciated.

NismoGTR

The Thermaltake SmartFan II is a good choice. Not only is it a powerful fan, but you have full control over what it does. It comes with a header for the motherboard and a molex adaptor for its power source.

Back