• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burning in...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sailor420

OK, I just got my new 1.8a and 8IEXP. My question is, should I burn in the proc before or after I overclock it?

theres not realy a right or wrong way to do it. my belifes are to slightly overvolt and run it at the default speed for a day or two running seti. then move into an overclock burn in for another few days. the only reason i run at the stock speed at first is to asure you burning in the procesor while it isnt commiting errors. i have no facts to back any of this up but it worked for me on one of my chips and didnt work on the other

litghost said:
what is burning in and why do you do it?
its an effort to break in the electrical pathways within the chip to hopfuly gain a higher overclock or reach the same clock with less voltage. some times it works and sometimes it dosnt.

Thanks. I dont intend on overvolting when I do overclock it tho... Should I still overvolt it now?

There are several different schools of thought about burning in

1. Some say its pure voodoo magic (I tend to disagree but this has been a topic with much discussion)

2. Some say overvolt and underclock for several days then put it back to stock voltage and see how high you can get it

3. Some take it right out of the box and try for the first reasonable overclock that most seem to get then if sucessful go from there (for a P4 1.8 133 FSB is a reasonable place to start)

4. Some run at stock speed and voltage for several days under 100% load then overclock as high as possible then overvolt and underclock then try overclocking again (I went from 140 to 143 FSB one time using this method)

I've tried 2, 3, and 4 with different CPU's and neither has worked out better than the other. I believe that running your CPU at 100% load from the beginning helps ensure a stable system and you should always install your OS at stock speed so many people with new systems run at stock speed in the beginning anyway.

So what I'm really saying is that its your CPU so its your call :beer:

Back