• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Little prob with the 9700 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SolidWolf

I order a Gigabyte 9700 Pro from newegg a couple of days ago, and just got it today..
The problem is that one of the Heatsink for the memory is loose, and for that reason i havent even opened the anti-static seal.. Now my question is if i should take the "risk" of "glue'ing" it back or just sending it back to replace it..
If you tell me to glue it myself, plz do me a favor and tell me something i could use thats available around the home, like Nail glue or some **** like that.. I ask for that cause i dont wanna get that AS+Glue thing that cost around $20 for something i'm only gonna use once..
Thx to any helpers..

card

Well, you can send it back or do it yourself, you decide.

If you want to do it yourself, and its just one ramisnk.... use regular arctic alumina ($2.99 US) with drop of superglue on two corners of the ramsink. You could also use artic silver 2 or 3, but would have to be VERY careful in how you apply it. Any excess that squishes out the side of the ramsink could cause serious problems and could even kill the card. With arctic alumina there is no danger. If there's already goop on there, you could probably just add a drop of superglue to two corners and remount it and things would be fine.

Well, i wouldnt mind doing it myself, but only as long as i dont have to get anything else since i'm kinda broke atm (video card)..
Anyway, i have a stick of Artic Silver 3 and some nail glue.. you think i could use that?
Or maybe nail glue only?
Nail glue = Super Glue?

As someone suggested, put a bit of conductive paste on the chip and a blob of glue (superglue should do for now) on each corner and a bit of thermal paste on your chip and bond them.
Also you havent said if it was the top of the card or the bottom as the RAM is visible from both sides on the 9700Pro. If it is the top then providing you dont move your case you shoud be able to just blob some paste on and "rest" it on the RAM.
This shoud do until you can afford something more appropriate.

Back