• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any way to run celerons in SMP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The early socket 370 celerons 533mhz and below i belive. Can run in SMP, Ask Jon.
The coppermine celerons as far as I know cant run in smp.

I have two celeron 366 (66 fsb) OC to 550 (100fsb) in an abit bp6 mother board. This board has run these two dual celerons for years, under linux. This setup works great as a dhcp server, nat server (internet server), firewall, and LTSP server for a bunch of nodes.

Runs rock stable, these early celerons CAN do SMP.

Don't know at what level the celerons STOPPED being SMP. I ?think? the same deal is true for PIII, some PIII can do SMP, but some of the later / faster PIII COULD NOT do SMP.

Of course, I do not SEE any such older celerons for sale on pricewatch, so you are probably stuck with used, ebay or computer show I think would be your best bet.

I don't have any experience with an acorp board.

good luck

On this machine I'm running 2 celrons in SMP. They are both celron 533's and I'm using the BP6 motherboard. As far as I know this is the fastest celron that runs in SMP.

-Craig

When Intel transitioned the Celeron to the Coppermine core, they disabled SMP support. All the Katmai and Coppermine P3's are SMP enabled. In the Tualatin P3's, the only procs that are SMP enabled are the 512k cache Tualatin P3's.

Mendocino core Celerons are the last ones that will run in a dual configuration and that was the 533MHz. You have to watch about those because that is where the Coppermine Celeron started as well.

I'll agree that as far as dual Celerons go, the BP6 with a couple of 366s at 550MHz is going to be very difficult to beat.

I have a QDI mobo running with a Celeron 600 mhz. Just when I saw the subject of the thread thought about selling the mobo and getting a dual one instead and buy another celeron 600.
That seems not to be possible just because what you´ve said, am I right?(although repeating what you said but just to be sure )

johnnyw said:
I have a QDI mobo running with a Celeron 600 mhz. Just when I saw the subject of the thread thought about selling the mobo and getting a dual one instead and buy another celeron 600.
That seems not to be possible just because what you´ve said, am I right?(although repeating what you said but just to be sure )

Yup...two 600MHz Celerons will do you no good in SMP.

The Acorp 6A815EPD does NOT support dual Celerons. Just wanted to close the door on this so no one will buy it thinking that it will. It will run Celerons in single mode, but will ONLY run P3's in dual mode.

Staright from the specs "NOTE: ONLY PENTIUM III PROCESSORS ARE SUPPORTED IN DUAL MODE"

read the webpage and listen:
CPU Support:
Intel FC-PGA/PPGA Celeron 300MHz-800MHz with 66/100MHz FSB
Intel FC-PGA Pentium III 500MHz-1GHz with 100/133MHz FSB
VIA Cyrix III processor with 100/133MHz FSB
Can run single or dual processors
NOTE: ONLY PENTIUM III PROCESSORS ARE SUPPORTED IN DUAL MODE
hmm does that tell you something?

cmcquistion said:
The Acorp 6A815EPD does NOT support dual Celerons. Just wanted to close the door on this so no one will buy it thinking that it will. It will run Celerons in single mode, but will ONLY run P3's in dual mode.

Just to make sure, as I'm anal. You did try the real old celerons right? Like you DID try a celeron 300, or 333, or 366, RIGHT?

There is celeron and there is celeron. The REAL old ones really should be able to do dual, they were not dual inhibited by intel, and it would take MUCH work in bios to say "if celeron that CAN do dual, DON'T do DUAL".

I just want to make sure you didn't drop in some celeron 500 or higher and thus conclude that celerons won't work. Celeron's 500 or higher SHOULDN"T work, (ok mostly) but a celeron 366 SHOULD.

At what point did everyone start believing what the MANUAL says? I got an athalon XP running just fine in an abit KT7AR, even though the manual says it shouldn't ......

At the time this board came out, the celerons would have been SMP DISABLED, so a customer buying a NEW celeron could not run them in this board. I would not be surprised to see that warning in the manual, even if the older, no longer made celerons WOULD work.

SO HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY TRIED AN OLDER, SMP ENABLED MEDOCINO CORE CELERON IN THIS BOARD?

We know the newer celerons won't work, but what about the SMP ones?

Thanks much!

Yes, Caffinehog tried dual Celeron 466's in this board. It didn't work. It is a limitation of the motherboard, not the processors.

Caffinehog said:
yep... 466's don't work.

Umm.... but didn't in that same post you say that one of your 466 was dead any ways? So you DID try two working medcinos? That's way odd .... as there really isn't an easy way to tell the difference between the normal pentium and the celeron in that line.

Back