• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

seems not many ppl know this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssprncvegeta

i was reading another thread somewhere else on oc.com when someone told me that computers are very expensive to get all the fastest and newest things in it. i knew that too. but there is a very inexpensive way to get a totally bitchin computer

put it this way.
u could get:
$120mobo
$60 for 256mb ddr(266mb)
$114 for a 2000+ amd or $170 for a 2200+ amd
$75 for 350watt power supply and case(both together)
all for a total of $369(2000+ amd) and u got a sweet at computer. then theres always overclocking everything

not bad when computers cost $2000 new, even more for the even higher stuff like the 2600+ amd coming out soon, $400. take that with the other stuff and thats still significantly less than what the $3000 computers made by alienware and falcon nortwest. though they are expensive, you can always check out the hardware they use and buy that seperate

some say making your own computer is cheaper. that's slightly true. only expensive computers made yourself are cheaper.

if anything, i've read this several times in many magazines, that video cards are waaaay to high. and before they get any higher, they should start getting cheaper and go back down to almost the price of memory. i've seen this LOTS of places. even nvidia.com. if you think about it, these things ARE outrageously over priced at more than a processor!!!!

I would replace the xp2000 with an xp1600 from newegg and get better ram (pc2700+). Of course there's also the HDD, CD-rom, heatsink+fan, soundcard and video card to consider.

well ddr 333mhz = pc2700. i thought u would know that by heart, but i guess not.

i didnt say i was getting that. i was just pointing out how you could have a sweet computer like this for $370.

i'm getting a powerhouse computer. 3.02ghz using hyperthreading with 512 ddr, agp 8x mobo, etc. my computer doesnt have room for slowness, so i chose intel. maybe if i wanted to spend all my time OCing it to a speed of a p4, i woulf, but i wont

that's not a full functioning computer for 369$

more like a barebone. you need other parts like HDD/Roms/Vid
as pointed out earlier.

hard drive,
vid card,
memory,
floppy,
CDRW,
DVD,
CPU,
Case,
Sound Card,
Nic,
modem,
PSU,

and OS, Linux ain't gonna run all your latest game, gotta shell out $200 bones for ya XP. That is basically your regular gig, ain't OC yet.

ssprncvegeta said:
i was reading another thread somewhere else on oc.com when someone told me that computers are very expensive to get all the fastest and newest things in it. i knew that too. but there is a very inexpensive way to get a totally bitchin computer

put it this way.
u could get:
$120mobo
$60 for 256mb ddr(266mb)
$114 for a 2000+ amd or $170 for a 2200+ amd
$75 for 350watt power supply and case(both together)
all for a total of $369(2000+ amd) and u got a sweet at computer. then theres always overclocking everything

not bad when computers cost $2000 new, even more for the even higher stuff like the 2600+ amd coming out soon, $400. take that with the other stuff and thats still significantly less than what the $3000 computers made by alienware and falcon nortwest. though they are expensive, you can always check out the hardware they use and buy that seperate

some say making your own computer is cheaper. that's slightly true. only expensive computers made yourself are cheaper.

mb, ram, cpu, case and psu..?
hmmm, nice, until you want to do something with it. what about hdd's, dvd, cdrw, video card..? how about a monitor for those without one? gonna put a heatsink on that cpu?
also, i would save a few bucks and get the xp1600, if your plan is to overclock cheaply

you got an ok start there, but after all the rest, you are going to spend 700-1000 on your 300 dollar system....you also list basic ddr, if you want better ddr, the price almost doubles. ;)

i kinda already know that

u forgot the mobo, the single most important(well, next to cpu) single peice of hardware in the computer since everything connects to it. if your building your own computer u need wires, cooling fan, heat sinks. also, winxp doesnt cost $200 if u get the home one. but wont cost u anything for a OS if u already have one or a friend's

ssprncvegeta said:
well ddr 333mhz = pc2700. i thought u would know that by heart, but i guess not.

i didnt say i was getting that. i was just pointing out how you could have a sweet computer like this for $370.

i'm getting a powerhouse computer. 3.02ghz using hyperthreading with 512 ddr, agp 8x mobo, etc. my computer doesnt have room for slowness, so i chose intel. maybe if i wanted to spend all my time OCing it to a speed of a p4, i woulf, but i wont

i certainly hope you are not comparing the old ......mhz rule.......in terms of amd vs. intel. don't start that flame war now.

my xp1600 @ 1901mhz, is about the best bang for the buck you'll find today. and mhz ain't mhz since intel screwed you on the work units per clock cycle....give it a rest.

well. as i clearly stated, this ones an extreme, but optional UPGRADE. keyword UPGRADE. buying a completely different computer isnt a UPGRADE.

buy the following things:
mobo, case with power supply, CPU, and memory
take everything from the OLD computer and put it in the new BAREBONE, u have just done a UPGRADE

this, to me, was common sense even before i was told SOME ppl did it. i said UPGRADE and you quickly assumed im a dumbass that doesnt know anything. if you cant read, then your really ****ed

i didnt see that someone quoted me and said i needed more things. well no **** sherlock. but thats for a full computer.

buy these components and put them in a your used-to-be old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back