• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about ISP servers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
What i wanna know about them is how they work ?... You know on dial-ups when you called them how does that work ?... Would it be possible for me to make a small ISP for rural intnet users? The reason I want to know is, i'll be moving out of town and I'll have 4mbit+ sattelite... i know tis now very fast but i can just get another one and a server for it/users... so if it is possible... what would i need to make it happen ?

I'm not sure, but i think you need a modem for each person that is going to use your service. I think its somewhat like an dial up network with internet sharing without the network sharing. I might be wrong though.

You would need a T1 which is 24 phonelines/modems for ppl to call into. this would be hooked up to a cisco router of some sort and basicly plugged itnot the satalite uplink.

But you will need the phone company to lay down more phone lines to your house or wherever the uplink is. that would be a few hundred a month if not more.

hmm... how does ISDN work ? it's still dial-up right ? if it is i was thinkin of getting a 1-800 #... get the modems to call there... to my server... then just give em the bandwith for however much

You will still need a seperate phone line for each user who is dialing in.

The phone company can set it up so that dialing that 1-800 number gets forwarded to any of the different lines that go to your house.

You can have one "number", but it's one physical phone line per connection.

..at least from what I remember.

Back