• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help!!! ---- Xfree --- Mandrake 8.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
i set it as xfree 4.2 or something and how do i get to 3.2 or whatever it is, the fideocard dont work in the 4.2 one, and i cant figure out how to change it....

help a guy out, i already finished the setup, i can boot but the screen flashes, cant get into xwindows......

thanx man! ill go upstairs and give it a shot in a few minutes!

ok thats not what i needed, i need to change from Xfree 4.0.2 to Xfree 3.0.2 or whatever it is

its a back woods way of doing it but certain options you pick in there will lead to installing free86 3.02. i used that to get 4.02 from 3.02 when i was installing my ti4200

there is only like 4 options in there.... they dont lead to anything as far as i can tell

maskedgeek said:
there is only like 4 options in there.... they dont lead to anything as far as i can tell

If you are going back to 3.x from 4.x, you need to uninstall 4.x and/or install 3.x

David

im sorry, im a complete n00b when it comes to linux, thats why im starting, i need to learn this stuff, im sick of winbloze, what i was thinking was reinstalling linux all the way, and i may do that if i get bored, or if you can help me out a little bit on how to do these things,

im learning, im learning...

thankyou guys

im extremely mad at this stupid thing, this time it didnt even give me a choice to choose what xfree i wanted! GRRR:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

yea ive had this problem too. it dosnt come right out and ask you with every combonation of choices. just some lead to the xfree86 version choice. its a anoiying unpolished area of the mandrake setup

well im still stuck, i tried to reinstall 2x and still it only asked me the very first time i installed, and i figured the new one would be better, but i had no idea

I'm NOT an xfree xpert.

When you tried reinstalling, did you do a whole new repartition / reformat reinstall, or only an update? Try try the full install with reformat.

I've installed mandrake 8.2 on three machines in the last two weeks, and have gotten the choice each time. Are you doing the "advanced / expert" install? Try the exeprt install.

Also, I think it really is easy to go back and forth, without reinstalling, IF any of us knew how to do it. :)

You can also try this question over at the mandrake forums, I've gotten much help over there.

Good luck, if you find an easy answer, post back and let us know. :)

Back