• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

if possible, would you run osX on your pc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They aren't thinking, they are keeping options open. They should but they won't. Jobs won't let it happen even though it makes every possible sense in the world to do it. The thing is that it isn't just the MacOS that makes the Mac(in terms of Macoholics) its everything. So putting it on the PC would deprive you of the experience :rolleyes:. Never mind that they would double their market share, but hey, I have always said that if you give Jobs two decisions, one that will make perfect business and sense and one that will shoot himself in the foot he will do the latter. He is a charasmatic person, but not nearly as adept in the business side of things as Gates is and will let his ego get in the way(well so does Gates, except Gates is usually right).

And to your question, absolutely.

Probably not. I have a lot of Windows software and no Mac software. I'd have go out and get Office, Quickbooks, etc., etc. I might install it on one of my computers though, just to see what it's like. Apple should have done this like 15 years ago. They would have killed Microsoft if they had a little foresight back then and realized that the money was in the OS and software, not their underpowered machines.

Should be able to run Unix software though and there is a lot of that out there for free. I would just run both.

There is money in hardware, just a lot less control. Profits are in the software. Jobs doesn't care about money. Its about making computing an elite thing. What happens is that Apple ends up spending all their money on R&D for hardware and loosing the other things that Microsoft actually does well like developer support and strong arming competitors :).

I think it would put apple under. Like you said, their hardware is under powered. When the mac users see that they can use the same software on a more powerful machine, they will switch to pc's and macs will disapear or maybe they will get their heads out of their a** and make a decent comp. but any way, I think I would try it just for sh**s and giggles.

Nope.
A friend of mine is into Macs and he has 10.2 aka Jaguar- the New, Improved version: he says it performs better than 10 and is more stable. All I could see was better eye candy.

Not into eye candy here;)
It eats up cpu cycles.
If I had a 3ghz cpu overclocked to 4ghz I would STILL begrudge the cpu cycles needed just to make my operating system look "pretty"

I'll stick with 2K, a blank desktop and no window animations:D

I would certainly try it. Can't argue that it's one of the best OS's you can get (buy). I don't, however, think that they would release an x86 version. While it is UNIX, it's so deeply intertwined with Mac hardware and ROM chips that it would take a whole lot of work to change it around to work with PCs. Drivers might not be such an issue because the add-on parts like video cards are Mac and PC....I think that at least the first version that would come out of that would really s***. And all of the things that run so well on a Mac because of PowerPC G4 Velocity Engine would slow down until optimization for x86 which would take at least a year. Also, as Linux right now is a tweaker's funtime, hardware/software makers don't cater too much to it. If OSX came to the PC, they'd have to start sharing driver/softare R&D between Windows and OSX. One would certainly win out over the other, at least for a few years. I think that the move would be increadibly stupid on Apple's part and it would put all other hardware/softare companies in an unfortunate possition. Still, I'd like to see it happen. Then I wouldn't have to pay for a Mac.

i would dual boot it and may completly switch IF IT HAD WINDOWS COMPATIBILITY. like being able to run games and apps.

Not a chance in hell . . . .

I hate MacOS. It's . . . . backwards. That, and if I wanted to run a *nix based OS, I'd chose Mandrake, tyvm

Back