• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocking a Dell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burden

I am wondering if there is a program out there that will allow Dell computers to be OC'd? Not for me, but a friend of mine wanting to overclock his dell. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The Dell boxes are as plain vanilla as possible. They run a stipped down Phoenix bios with very few options. The motherboards are typically made by Intel so there are no overclocking options.

Face it a Dell is just an appliance for the "Joe Six Pack" crowd that does not know, or care what goes on inside a computer. He only cares can I browse the net, and or play a game.

well thanks I guess....one unhappy dell customer...guess he will get over it and just ahve to go buy a new computer....:burn:

Yes you can overclock SOME dells but it depends on the model and the production run for that model and then the overclockability of the rest.

What I mean is say they have offered an XPS-R model with your choice of an 733 or 800 processor. If you have the 733 you should be able to (Jump) into advanced setup mode and then set (overclock) to the 800.

Very limited but it is there. Or was, it has been awile since I have worked on a dell, dude.

No, the XPS-R was a 440BX chipset based PII system. The XPS-T was a 440BX based PIII system and allowed you up to 800 MHz, but all were 100fsb. The XPS-B, 4100, and L series DID offer 133 FSB CPUs. They were 820, 815, and 810 chipsets respectively.

Trying to change the CPU speed higher in the BIOS wouldn't really help since the CPUs were multiplier locked anyways so the CPU would just ignore it. You would have to up the FSB to overclock, just like all other Intel systems. SoftFSB MIGHT work, but I'm not sure.

In short, no, you can't overclock a Dell. Or a Compaq or a Gateway or an HP or a Micron either for that matter. Really makes sense if you think about it. A) if you want a faster computer from them, you'll have to pay for it. B) overclocking can cause unstability or even damage the system, either way it would generate more calls into tech support.

you guys are all really helpfull, thanks a lot, and I will past this thread on to my buddy....thanks all

Just using that XPS-R as an example, but WOW.
I do now have a jumpered XPS M200 running at 233 and it was very easy to do just opened it up and moved the little jumper from the 200 to the 233 marker. I also had an XPS_ running at 366 instead of 300 using a jumper + an MB jumper into the advanced bios. It did seem very easy and would make sense that it is not so anymore, But this was from back in i think like 95 and OCing was not that well known, but the order price from 200 to 233 was real costly. I still NAT with that 200=233 and it is still very stable running NT. I think the 200 then costs me over $3000 with 32 megs of ram , a 2.1 gig HD and 4 MB of Nitro video. :)

no need to really, it's a ti4600, but he does want to push up his CPU, it's 1.6gig I think. Oh well, he just has to spend some cash I guess

Back