• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donuts are good

Registered
I don't know if this is the correct place to put this, but does anyone have a recommendation for a laptop? I need one that is light, but powerful. Preferably under 7 pounds. I have looked into Dell, but they are too heavy. Any input would be appreciated.

Have you looked into Alienware? They advertise a lot in the PC World magazine and sell both desktops and laptops, although I've never owned any of their products I hear they are good. You can get to their site here.

Wait a few more weeks.
The new Crusoe 800mhz+ sub-laptops that are due out are exactly what you're looking for. The more expensive models have fantastic battery life, they're portable, and extremely light.

A number of companies will be introducing models next month.

Yeah, the Crusoe is a processor made by Transmeta (which includes Linus Torvalds). Its made specifically for laptops and has great battery life.

Two brands that I'd recommend are the Sony Vaio's and Toshiba Proteges. You can find something with a 14" screen, a decent proc for everything but gaming, in a light and thin package with either brand. And the prices are coming down on them, too.

One word of advise: If you are buying this for school/college, definitely get the extended factory warranty.

BHD

The alienware laptops are a bit of a throwback. They are big, heavy and run hot (last I saw they were using a desktop CPU instead of a mobile but perhaps that has changed?). Anyways not saying not to go with alienware but don't expet some slender notebook.

As far as quality goes I think IBMs are real nice. I have seen some shoddy cases on Dell laptops but they seem to have alot of nice options available for em.

BaldHeadedDork said:
One word of advise: If you are buying this for school/college, definitely get the extended factory warranty.

Ditto. The warranty is your only life-line when it comes to purchasing a laptop.

Back