• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

any downside to adjustable fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kent_b29

Is there any downside besides them being a little more expensive? Because I'm looking at case fans for my upcoming system and was wondering if I should get the thermaltake smartfan II or should I just get a non-adjustable sunon or something. Does the rheostat wear out after a while? Are they more susceptable to failure? Or am I just crazy? :D I can't think of why a person wouldn't want an adjustable fan.

thanks,
Kent

I have a thermaltech Volcano 7+. Trust me a adjustable fan is nice. Summer, it runs at either high on hot days or normal on low days, or when your just surfing and not playing games, I have the switch mounted inside the cover of my Antec, so I can turn it down for noise. Basically it's flexibility. You pay extra to be able to cut down the noise when really you don't need the full cooling. I don't mind having my CPU at 53 under Prime 95 load either at the lowest setting. Some might revolt at that, but I hardly think that's a horrible setting. At normal I usually top out at full load at about 46-47. At high (with the racket) I can drop to 40-42. So, it's all up to you. I like it.

i agree with docta_z, adjustable fan speeds are nice. just make sure u do a mod of some sort and mount the switch outside ur case just so u wont have to open the damn case just to adjust ur fan setting. have my switch modded at an empty pci slot holder in the case.

Back