• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Power Problem - HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XxiXxy

I just installed my system into my new case and I have had some problems booting it up. Everything worked great yesterday in the old case. I have already reseated the RAM, CPU and video card as well as cleared the CMOS. Still stumped, I decided to reseat the mobo. When I unplugged the power to the HSF, the system booted. Thats where I stand now. I can run everything else power-wise and boot to BIOS but if I connect the HSF, no boot, no power at all to any devices. Again, this all worked yesterday in the old case. The heat sink fan is a Thermaltake Volcano 7+. Did I short out the HSF? The proper fan cables are connected to the mobo. One last thing that might help, when the HSF is connected to the power supply, flipping the power switch on the PWS back and forth causes the heat sink fan to "jitter" (spin very slightly, then jerk back into place).

Any advice is apreciated.

Relevant Specs:
P4 1.7, VIA chipset, GF 4 440MX, 512MB 2100 RAM, 300 watt generic PWS.

Thanks.

just making sure, the fan is a 3pin connector to the mobo?

If it is, try different fan plugs on the motherboard, just to get it to work.. If not, buy a 3 pin fan to 4 pin molex converter, so you can plug the fan into the 12v line right off of the psu.

It is a 3 pin connector but it only has one wire. Its only there so the system can read the fans RPMs. The fan gets its power from the PSU via the standard 4 pin adapter (I'm guessing thats a molex?)

Thanks.

yepp thats molex take a look at both conectors make sure its clean and plugs in proplerly. sounds to me like tomething is shorting out the wires.

Well I figured it out last night. The Volcano 7+ comes with a variable speed switch if you want to run your fan a little quieter. I had this mounted to the back of the case, just as it had been in my old case. Removing this switch from the back of the case and everything worked fine. My old case had no case fans, while the new one has 2. One of them is on the back pannel and my roommate theorized that the spinning of those fans was creating static electricity. So I just bagged the fan speed switch and its molex connection and I now run the HSF right from the mobo. I'll use Speedfan to control it now.

This static charge from the fans, is it normal? Is something (like the PSU) not grounded? Everything is screwed in good. Should I buy some rubber washers and remount the fans with them?

Thanks.

Back