• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.8 is not a good overclocker.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
I am dissapopinted with the 2.8 northy. This is my second one and as the first it is not Prime 95 stble with any fsb over 150. it failed at 160 immediately and wouldn't even pass a single madonion loop. It failed at 155 in both Prime and Madonion even with the voltage upped to 1.6v. I even tried 153fsb and it was also bogus-city. The highest stable oc is 150. It looks like these C1 steppings are reaching thier limit.

1) P4 2.8
"Malay"
pack date 8-26-2

2) P4 2.8
"Malay"
pack date 9-27-2

Kinda sucks cause my Corsair pc3500 is barely being used to it's potential. Right now I have it running at 400mhz-(sandra 3038) and I was able to bench it at 160fsb which gave me 427mhz-(sandra 3241)

Atleast I'm not the only one.. My 2.66GHz C1 did like 2.9GHz and my 2.4C1 can't do 2.5GHz.. Those guys at intel are slipping..

Overclocker456 said:
Atleast I'm not the only one.. My 2.66GHz C1 did like 2.9GHz and my 2.4C1 can't do 2.5GHz.. Those guys at intel are slipping..

no....you just have high expectations from C1.

looks like it's time for the cpu's that have been tested to OC well.

or use rambus.:p

mica

krag said:
Kinda sucks cause my Corsair pc3500 is barely being used to it's potential. Right now I have it running at 400mhz-(sandra 3038) and I was able to bench it at 160fsb which gave me 427mhz-(sandra 3241)
that sucks bro, cause my 3000 is running at that, and scoring about the same, but i had to relax the timings.

Yeah I know...oh well! At least my main rig is up and running again. I won't be able to do any more upgrades for a while so this is gonna have to be it for awhile. At least my beast is past 3gig!!

krag said:
Yeah I know...oh well! At least my main rig is up and running again. I won't be able to do any more upgrades for a while so this is gonna have to be it for awhile. At least my beast is past 3gig!!
you said that right bro, congrats.:D too bad you didnt get a better chip, if i got one , i would want 170+:p

On my older 2.8 I used BD7II and it did the same thing :) .. the same board that I hit 3.2 on my 2.26 .. same memory same PSU .. C1s are garbage for OCing .. this is MO tho' :p

pacino said:
On my older 2.8 I used BD7II and it did the same thing :) .. the same board that I hit 3.2 on my 2.26 .. same memory same PSU .. C1s are garbage for OCing .. this is MO tho' :p
i wouldnt say that.:( if you didnt see, i had a celly 2.0 up to 3329, c1 stepping for a minute, and 3200 stable. not that is impressive, with a 20x multi.:eek:

check it out.:D

jdmcnudgent said:
i wouldnt say that.:( if you didnt see, i had a celly 2.0 up to 3329, c1 stepping for a minute, and 3200 stable. not that is impressive, with a 20x multi.:eek:

I think we are both talking about the P4 C1...some do great, some stink.:(

mica

I'm stickin' to my theory JD :) .. tried many chips over and over, with friends, their friends rigs all over the place.. nothing impressed me.. Max I saw was 500~600Mhz OC .. even if I don't sell this chip, I'll pair it with PC4200 and slap it on my P4T533 @ default 4x + Turbo and it'll be my video editing rig :)

jdmcnudgent said:

Yeah bro thats real nice! Too bad it was a celly (stripped p4). I really think these c1's are just about at thier limit. What are the chances that 3 2.8's (pacino's & mine) from different parts of the counrty end up with the same oc results? i bet the hyperthread chips will do better. ;)

pacino said:
I'm stickin' to my theory JD :) .. tried many chips over and over, with friends, their friends rigs all over the place.. nothing impressed me.. Max I saw was 500~600Mhz OC .. even if I don't sell this chip, I'll pair it with PC4200 and slap it on my P4T533 @ default 4x + Turbo and it'll be my video editing rig :)
what about my 1200mhz oc with a celly, and c1???

krag said:

Yeah bro thats real nice! Too bad it was a celly (stripped p4). I really think these c1's are just about at thier limit. What are the chances that 3 2.8's (pacino's & mine) from different parts of the counrty end up with the same oc results? i bet the hyperthread chips will do better. ;)
how will the hyper c1's do better when they are still c1 stepping???:( its the luck of the draw, and the components. i will give you an example, i wish i had a bd7, not the bd7II, cause i got one, the bd7. back in the day, i had crappy mem and crappy chips. but with a nice chip and some nice mem, i bet this board would rock. and further more, the only big difference between the 2 is the voltage, you can set it with the bd7 and not with the bd7II, +5%, +10%, and +15%.:(

krag said:

4 chips, I had 2 :p

jdmcnudgent said:
how will the hyper c1's do better when they are still c1 stepping???:( its the luck of the draw, and the components. i will give you an example, i wish i had a bd7, not the bd7II, cause i got one, the bd7. back in the day, i had crappy mem and crappy chips. but with a nice chip and some nice mem, i bet this board would rock. and further more, the only big difference between the 2 is the voltage, you can set it with the bd7 and not with the bd7II, +5%, +10%, and +15%.:(

I agree JD bro, but look around, how many had success with C1s compared to those who didn't make it? ..

Back