• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.8 is not a good overclocker.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
jdmcnudgent said:
how will the hyper c1's do better when they are still c1 stepping???:( its the luck of the draw, and the components. i will give you an example, i wish i had a bd7, not the bd7II, cause i got one, the bd7. back in the day, i had crappy mem and crappy chips. but with a nice chip and some nice mem, i bet this board would rock. and further more, the only big difference between the 2 is the voltage, you can set it with the bd7 and not with the bd7II, +5%, +10%, and +15%.:(

Yeah yer right...it is luck of the draw. But it sure seems like a lot of peeps are getting bogus luck...time after time with these new c1's. I sure hope Intel isn't turning a cold shoulder to us Oc'ers. I hope this is just a little bump and not the future. I would really hate to go back and spend all of my spare time at the AMD threads. Oh God no don't let that happen...any thing but that nnooooooooooooo!!!

krag said:

Yeah yer right...it is luck of the draw. But it sure seems like a lot of peeps are getting bogus luck...time after time with these new c1's. I sure hope Intel isn't turning a cold shoulder to us Oc'ers. I hope this is just a little bump and not the future. I would really hate to go back and spend all of my spare time at the AMD threads. Oh God no don't let that happen...any thing but that nnooooooooooooo!!!

ROFL! ... no, I tell you what I want to do, 2.8 @ even 3.4 is no fun, what I want is real OC, 1Ghz would be nice :D .. I was close with my 2.26 @ 3.2 but the vapo + BD7II + chips all went banana on me, don't know yet what caused it but it was a nice experience LOL! yet, I want to try this again on water! :cool:

krag said:

fellas, even if we can see 150, with any c1 chips, that a good oc. now its not the best, but its good, and most will prolly do 150 on default voltage.:D

jdmcnudgent said:
fellas, even if we can see 150, with any c1 chips, that a good oc. now its not the best, but its good, and most will prolly do 150 on default voltage.:D

Leave it to JD to bring reality into the picture. ha ha ha Yeah bro dude...150 @ default is good enough (for now). I think we are conditioned with fsb lust. We are so used to getting insane oc's that we just expect it everytime. I know I do, but I should be more realistic...yeah thats right...I am using the "R" word. he he:p

krag said:

the 1.8a didn't do that great in the begining....now look at them.

I think it was the same for the 1.6a.

give intel and the C1 some time.

mica

lemme add my 2.8 chip in here also...it is a 32 week costa rican. OEM chip. it did 3ghz default voltage 100% prime stable. the max i got from it was 3105ghz on 1.65 vcore on a p4b533-e 100% prime stable.. it was air cooled with a alpha. im about to setup a rig with water cooling...ill let u kno if anything changes....but that wont be for like a week or 2. but ya...im dissapointed with my $400 chip. and i was getting crazy temps of 63C on full load with 1.675 @ 3105 and @ 3ghz i was getting around 56C max. it was making so much more heat then previous P4's i owned. my 2.5 C1 ES chip also dissapointed me as well i only got a 105mhz OC from that 100% prime stable. but i was running insane fsb speeds.

i got my new p4 2,8 too
had 2.5 c1 abit th7 II and prometeia cooling before
for some strange reason it didn't even make 3000 stable
so i decided this can't be it and build up a new machine

p4 2,8
abit it7 max2 v2.0
pc 3500 corsair cl2

im pretty happy so far , the max stable oc i can do is 3498
fsb/ram is 166/222 so my corsair is pretty much at its limit too :)
at least i think its stable
i pass super pi 32m test in 42mins
my expirience is that if there is the smallest instability you won't even pass loop1 of the super pi 32m test
so if you complete the whole test the system should be stable
at least the cpu , the ram still may be unstable i think and could produce crashes in some other applications
but i didn't have any crashes so far , so i think its stable ;)
i hoped for some 3600 or even 3700mhz , but i think 3500 should do it for a while ;)
it's a malaysia 08/26/02

my idle temp is -18°C and full load temp 0°C @1.8vcore
prometeia seriously kicks *** , vapochill is in my eyes no match to prometeia ;)

Last edited:
Horus bro, yuor 3700mhz p4 has the same pack date as my first chip. Looks like you got a good one there. About the Prometia though....with p4's I am not so sure that colder is better. I have lost several chips from small voltage elevations coupled with really low temps. It's nice to see that your chip is doing well...it seems to be the only one around here that is in the 2.8 family that is doing well.:burn:

I came to a conclusion, B chips don't like cold atmosphere :) .. don't go below 5c .. if you're chip is rockin' right now, it'll probably start to die in 4~6months from now, which ain't beauty, that's why I built my watercooling setup yesterday.. temps @ 33c load = my P4PE overvolts, hope a new bios will fix dis...

krag said:
Horus bro, yuor 3700mhz p4 has the same pack date as my first chip. Looks like you got a good one there. About the Prometia though....with p4's I am not so sure that colder is better. I have lost several chips from small voltage elevations coupled with really low temps. It's nice to see that your chip is doing well...it seems to be the only one around here that is in the 2.8 family that is doing well.:burn:

it's just 3,5 not 3,7 ;)
well he does fine cause he's 3days old now
maybe this could change , i don't hope so :)
what dou you mean by "i have lost several chips from small voltage elevations coupled with really low temps" ?
why could lower be worse than higher ?

and not going below 5° would be a problem with prometeia cause it just goes below or is there a way to config the prometeia controll ?
i had a look at the controll but couldn't find to modify anything
there were just a few numbers and i don't know what they are good for

krag said:
krag, i think you lost chips due to poor insulation, like when you hooked up your vc without the foam that goes around the core. also, you were using artic silver on the top of the chip instead of the thermal compound that retards the condensation, if any left from the vapo. if you are using as3 right now instead of the tc on the top of the chip, and you dont want another dead chip, get the thermal compound on it.:D

hmm
i'm using arctic silver too
are you sure about this ?
arctic aluminia almost sounds the same ;)
i don't think there's any difference if you use arctic silver or arctit aluminia (that's the compund shipped with prometeia)

jdmcnudgent said:
krag, i think you lost chips due to poor insulation, like when you hooked up your vc without the foam that goes around the core. also, you were using artic silver on the top of the chip instead of the thermal compound that retards the condensation, if any left from the vapo. if you are using as3 right now instead of the tc on the top of the chip, and you dont want another dead chip, get the thermal compound on it.:D

Nope I aint got none left hlomes. I am using the AS3, but only on the top of the core. Is that still gonna be an issue? Shoot! What else can I use, all I have is AS3.

krag said:

Nope I aint got none left hlomes. I am using the AS3, but only on the top of the core. Is that still gonna be an issue? Shoot! What else can I use, all I have is AS3.
what about the bottom of the cpu, what is down there?? you NEED that stuff on the cpu, just like the books says, could be the cause of all your destroyed chips.:(

No dude I ain't that dumb. I have the white goop in the ziff sockett with it underneath and ontop of the little square foam. I even put a considerable dab of the stuff (white goop) on the transitors on the bottom of the cpu before I stuck it on all the goop that I already put in the ziff sockett.

I even asked tech support at the asetek forums if it was OK to use AS3 on the top of the cpu.

jdmcnudgent said:
what did they say??

I didn't ask them about it today, but right after I bought the Vapo and they said it would be good for the top of te cpu.

One of my buddies bought a Vapo about the same time as I did and built a AMD rig with a stupid Soyo (Crapo he he) Dragon KT333 board and he put AS3 inside of the ziff sockett and in the pin holes. He called me up and said his computer wouldn't boot. ha ha haha haha ha! So i started to ask him some questions and he told me that he had put AS3 in the ziff sockett. I said, "YOU DID WHAT??" No wonder it won't boot you fried your mobo & cpu moron! He said, "But the AS3 package said it was dielectric!" I asked him just how does 99.9% micronized silver become non-conductive? So....he wasted a XP2100 & a Crapo mobo.

krag said:

I didn't ask them about it today, but right after I bought the Vapo and they said it would be good for the top of te cpu.

One of my buddies bought a Vapo about the same time as I did and built a AMD rig with a stupid Soyo (Crapo he he) Dragon KT333 board and he put AS3 inside of the ziff sockett and in the pin holes. He called me up and said his computer wouldn't boot. ha ha haha haha ha! So i started to ask him some questions and he told me that he had put AS3 in the ziff sockett. I said, "YOU DID WHAT??" No wonder it won't boot you fried your mobo & cpu moron! He said, "But the AS3 package said it was dielectric!" I asked him just how does 99.9% micronized silver become non-conductive? So....he wasted a XP2100 & a Crapo mobo.
that sucks.:(

pacino said:
.. don't go below 5c ..
Wish I could recall where it was, but just the other day I saw an Intel spec that stated the minimum operating temp for P4 (both B0 and C1) was 5'C. Now I have no idea if colder temps will damage the CPU, though I can't help but wonder why Intel would imply such if it wasn't the case. :rolleyes:

Back