• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would this work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EBFoxbat

Registered
I've been thinking about something like this. This kind of isolates any condensation that might build up. The condensation would become part of the water cooling system if it formed. The super-cooling element pictured could be just about anything. Just an alternative though to a heating element and foam blocks to try keep condensation out.

coldcpu1.GIF

i doubt the functionality of that design prehaps if you can explain your theory a bit better it may help us to help you in your ventures but i dont see it helping agenst condensation.

I dont plan on it, but I had thought of it. The super cooling element would cool the die to sub-zero temperatures. Where the die meets the ambian air, condensation would form. By haveing the entire unit incased in a water tight box, the condnesation would fail to form. If it did form it would become part of the water cooling system. The system would have a fairly high flow rate so that it would not freeze. This way you have a sub-zero die with no worry of condensation.

it would cool the water around it then cause condensation on the little box thingy

KLowD9x said:
unless you warmed up the water?

Exactly. It wouldn't even have to be a big pump. just enough too keep ir moving. You could even use a GPU or something to heat it up.

well, the water would also warm up the "supercooling block" thingy in the middle, which would kill performance...unless it was insulated somehow...but I guess if it was insulated, you wouldnt need the water?

nah....a vacume is not practical, but if you removed the water and put in a suction tube to drain water....

I vaccum would be perfect if you could get one. You would need one small pump if you just plan on sucking up the condensation, pumps have to always have water going through them.

You can bu specialized pumps that can suck constantly w/o steady water running through them I dont know if they make small ones though. you could always mod a air-sucking pump

yiu can run a drain line from the inside of the block. all the condensation forms and runs down the line. have a valve, when you open it, cool, clean, pure water fills your glass. thirsty? run your comp.

now that could maybe work....just have it drain, I think that would be quite easy to pull off, just need some real small maybe 1/4 tuping and attach it somehow to the lowest side of the block.

actualy a vaccume would be easy to setup.. you make the super cooling element right and then you build a metal or high strength casing like demonstrated above lexan would work ok or if you use metal you ahve to have an o ring and epoxy to hold it in place and on one of the sides just install a schrader valve and hook it up to a refridgeration vaccume pump and you would have a vaccumed sealed chamber.

But an actual perfect vacume, as in not a ginle molecule so that condensation can't buld, would be hard.

I don't think it has to be a complete vacume. Just get rid of most of the air. Instead of having 1 mole of water, lower it to .01 mole witht the vaccum. That would lower condensation by a factor of 100, probably more.

Back