• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new ide hard disk?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[sAn]Assasin

Registered
Ok so mines just died and im runin on at 6gig ata 66 job :(

Whats the best for about 100 pounds or 140ish dollars..

open for discussion this one...

i was on an ibm deskstar and its died very young... about 18 months...does ibms warrnty cover it still??

I like my 80 gig Western Digital special edition 8 mb cache harddrive. It's really quiet and also runs cool compared to most harddrives. It'll go for about 110-125 US dollars depending on where you get it from.

Drives

thanks yeah, i was just looking at that actual one..strange...

question is do i go for 8mb of cache or ATA133...

Western digital...
not had them for ages...any comments on there reliabilty and speed etc...

am i gonna see a difference in my ibm deskstar ata100...

Definently go for the 8MB cache version. Going from ATA100 to ATA133 won't really make much of a speed difference.

It's probably one of the faster harddrives on the market. Runs quiet and alot cooler than other harddrives. It's held up for 4 months so far without a problem.

8mb cache is better.

ATA133 is not really any faster than ata100. Really. A drive can only read sustained at about 50-60mb/s. Usually, more like 30mb/s. Drives read extra data after what is requested and store it in the cache. If more is needed, and it often is, this can be transferred at the full 100mb/s burst rate. With WD, you've got a full 8mb to transfer at 100mb/s, which gives you more data faster, and gives the drive time to find more data that might need to be accessed. With maxtor, you transfer 2mb at 133mb/s, and the drive hasn't found the rest of the data yet. In this way, the 8mb cache model provides a higher sustained throughput.

Serraph said:
I like my 80 gig Western Digital special edition 8 mb cache harddrive. It's really quiet and also runs cool compared to most harddrives. It'll go for about 110-125 US dollars depending on where you get it from.

i second that... i have one as well and i have a temp. sensor on it. it says it's at 98.6 F. it's also in a removable bay as well (probably trapping a little more heat than usual). it's nice and quiet... i run it as my second drive for all my apps and games... works extremely well. wish i could afford another right now :)

Back