• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slocket (slotket?) questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Project86

I just about finished my new system, so a friend will be getting my PII450 setup for cheap. It's a crappy pcchips m726 mobo, PII450. We were thinking of trying to use a slocket (or slotket, whatever they're called) and run a faster Celly cpu, maybe something in the 700-1.0 range. This whole setup would only be $50 if it works, that would be a great upgrade. Anybody have any input into this? I don't want to try it and fry the chip or anything. My mobo has no voltage adjustments, and currently runs at almost exactly 2.0 volts. Supposedly the slocket can regulate that?

Anybody?

That would be cool if it works since a PIII is so freakin expensive...

I have never used one, but from what I was reading about a year ago when a lot more people where running them, everything that you said about being able to adjust voltage, and fsb is true. I have a slocket that I never did get a chance to use that has both voltage jumpers, and 66/100/133 fsb jumpers on it. I dont think that you risk any real dangers in using one. The only thing that I can think of that you may have to do is possibly have to dl a new bios for the mobo to be able to run a faster cpu on the board. But for the small investment, it is worth a shot to be able to get that old setup running quite a bit faster.

The mobo manual mentions up to 500 PII or 366 Celly... That's a really old version of the bois though. There have been numerous updates to it, and I've heard of people running up to 1ghz PIII chips in it. So the answer to that is... probably. They never made slot1 cellys that went that high as far as I know.

TUK101 are you offering to sell me or give me your slocket? If so, let me know, I might just want to give it a shot.

Thanks!

Also, I'm considering going with a Cyrix chip, since they are SOOO cheap. Under $30 for a brand new 900mhz, not bad. Do you think these would have any compatibility issues?

Project68, I used Abit slotket III in the past w/ celeron 600 overclocked to 900 .. it has voltage jumper (u can set the voltage) and FSB jumper (for both intel cpu and cyrix, works at 133FSB) never failed on me .. sweet thing :) .. i had it run for 8 months w/ Abit BE6-II before recently upgraded to Athlon XP1800+ on MSI KT3 Ultra

I still have it too .. the slotket, celeron 600 guaranteed to run@900 w/ golden Orb HSF ... i can sell it for $50+shipping if you want.

Just let me know. personally, I did my research and overclockers.com did a review on abit slotket III and highly recommend it. If u need pictures of the actual item, just let me know, email me: my email

Budi

note: I've been selling computer stuff on ebay under the nick of toeng.com (but stopped like 1/2 yr ago since my GPA started to drop off) w/ 175 positive feedbacks
link to my ebay seller feedback

I'll have to check on that with my friend who would end up with the system. It's really his money, so his choice. He'll probably go for it though.

The only thing I'm insure of is my stupid mobo- Right now, it can't oc at all... There are jumpers to change the multiplier, but they don't do anything for my PII450. Then you can change the FSB from 66/83/100/112/133 but I can't get any of them to work except the 100 and the 66. I'm not really sure if that would affect the Running of the Celly, or if it would affect the oc capability. Because without the oc, it's not that big of a jump in speed.

Would you consider doing a refund on it (minus shipping of course) if we can't get it to work? I know that's sort of a lot to ask, but I really don't know if it will... If not maybe I can try it anyways, and if it fails just put it on ebay.

well, it's been laying around my house for quite some times :) .. i'd be happy to help a fellow overclocker. send me email to:my email

and let me know the address where you want it sent. I accept paypal ([email protected]) or Money Order. Just let me know.

Budi

Back