• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Supply Extension Wires???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petreza

Hi,

I would like to make my own power_supply---------motherboard extension cable. Where do they sell the different color wires?

Currently I am using 4-5 already-made extension cables but I guess a single long cable would be much better.

Are there any special consideraions? Any specific wires better than the rest?

Thank you!

I don't know any vendors off the top of my head...

Just get stranded wire in the same gauge & you should be fine - doesn't really have to be the same color to work as long as you connect them all correctly.

Can O' Beans said:
.... Just get stranded wire in the same gauge.....

What does "gauge" mean? My dictionary says "size, caliber". Is this the meaning you were trying to covey or is "gauge" an electrical term too?

Also, I have read long ago that when the wires are "stressed" (like when a high wattage peltier is used) the wires get real hot. Would it help in this case it I got a thicker wire with more strands? ( I know that to get the benefit from the thicker wire I will not only have to make the extender but change the ones coming out of the power supply too.)

Thank you!

gauge is the diameter of the wire...18, 16 gauge....the lower the number, the thicker the cable is...0 gauge is about 1 inch thick...

get the one in the link that i put down..thats the exact thing you need

I recomend 18 gauge wire for PSU cables. Anything from about 22-14 would be fine. The gauge should be printed in tiny print on the wire. You should be able to purchase 18 guage at any hardware or electrical store. They might be limited in the colors available though.

As long as the wires in the cables you have are larger than 20 gauge and the connectors are not loose there should not be any problem with what you have.

https://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdCT/p088.pdf

Back