• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4PE-L Fasttrak raid controller sx4000 please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bald Shadow

Please guys, have patience with me, I am a newbie in the truest form of the word and some of my problems were resolved on this board but yet I have a problem that the technical support guys at Promise can't seem to resolve. I've been on the phone with these guys for three hours and I am back to square one.

I have a P4PE-L mobo and it doesn't seem to like my Promise FastTrak SX4000 Raid controller. When I installed the SX4000 and attached two harddrives to the card (raid 0) the computer will not recognize it. It will scan the IDE drives and give me this message "Warning - fasttrak does not detect proper interrupts, please check your PCI IRQ setups and make sure the PCI slot supports Bus Master operations". I tried locking down the PCI slot in the bios to IRQ number 9 then I tried 10 and 14 with no success. I've even tried changing the card to different PCI slots, no success. When I disconnected the cables from the SX4000 raid controller and connected one harddrive to the motherboard it will read the raid controller card and inform me that there are "No defined disk array"; but it actually sees the card. I can load Windows XP Pro and am able to hit F6 during set up and install the drivers for the card but when I try reconnecting the harddrives to the SX4000 raid controller card I get the same error all over again.

My apologies for being so long winded but as you can see I remain clueless.:mad: :mad: :mad:

That sounds like a motherboard issue more than the RAID card. Can you try the RAID card in another computer, to make sure it works?
I'd check Asus's site, and see if there is a newer BIOS for your board, that might be what it takes to fix the problem.
In case you somehow changed something in the BIOS that is causing the problem, I'd clear CMOS to start fresh.

Thanks for the advice Repo, I did in fact update the BIOS to 1002 but asus also has another BIOS v1003beta do you think this is worth a try even though it is a beta version

I checked out the Asus site, and it isn't very helpful. They don't list any changes or issues with the available BIOS! I guess that board is very new?
If I were you, I'd give the beta BIOS a shot, make sure and save the most current official one when you flash it.
If I were you, I'd really try to check that card out in another machine, so you can be sure you're not chasing your tail thinking it is the motherboard at fault (though I supect it is).
If it has a problem with Promise RAID controllers, you won't be the only one.

#@%* not what I wanted to hear. The sx4000 controller has 256mb on board. I was planning on using it with 2 WD 800JB for now until I got another one. I'll give the beta version a try and keep you posted. By the way... thanks.

updated the bios to v1003beta and no luck. It's really weird that it starts to scan for the ide drives but can't "see" them to make an array.:mad: I've even tried diffrent HD and I get the same results.

Did I overlook a jumper on the mobo? Could it be that a jumper is causing all of these problems. I must of read the manual a dozen times and from I recall, there was no mention of it. Can anyone who owns the P4PE advise me on this?

Back