• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which xp cpu should i get now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zdoof1

Registered
hello gang its been a few months since i posted last...yah i still have a brand new and unused k7s5a! i am finally in postition to buy the cpu and put a system together...i would like to know which xp cpu would be the most sensible to buy...i could spring a buy the xp 2000 or 2100 ...any tips welcomed. thx

it depends on what you want. most people would say the 1600 because it o/c's really well. But, that doesnt apply when you have an ecs k7s5a.

because:
a) they are not in anyway overclocking boards.
b) they have no fsb options unless you flash the bios with cheepoman's version, or use cpufsb - in which case you will still have very limited fsb options.
c) 90% of the k7s5a's generally dont work above 143.7fsb, and none work above 160fsb.
d) there are no multiplier options either - so unlocking the cpu will be useless unless you start some serious hardware modding.

with all this in mind - i really would recommend an xp with the highest multi you can get hold of - or get a xp1600 and do the multiplier hardware mod if you are capable of it

thx james...

i guess i ll opt for the 2100 then and be thx ful if i can get 147 with mods...if things work out then i ll clear 1.8 ghz or so? i would have already gotten an xp by now but i went to a big hassle with a @#$%^ sy k7via that i bought a 900mhz athlon "T-bird"for, and found out that still while it twas a Slot A it wouldnt work! i should have gotten a "classic 900 Athlon"$#@%^...i then hurriedly TIED money into a replacement classic 700 Athl to get the system up...i later did research on my "gift " mobo and found out its no jewel and soyo attempts to straighten things out were feeble b4 they moved on to Sockets ....anyway wish me luck with this socket A mobo :)

Re: thx james...

zdoof1 said:
i ....anyway wish me luck with this socket A mobo :)

Yeah, you'll really need it if you're planning on getting to 147fsb @ default multi w/ a XP2100. :) :) :)

hey maxi ... is that a hard goal????

oh! i really meant reaching the avg. 143 : )....in seems that is a commonly reached improvement : ) 147 i guess would be for a real oc board with extra theminal reducing apparatuses attached ? :) :) thz 4 tip

I really think 147fsb w/ a XP2100+ is a reach. 150fsb w/ z XP1700+ or 1600+ is very attainable. I ran stable w/ a XP1700+ when I had a k7s5a last year but the XP1900+ was unstable at 147fsb. The higher the Chip rating, the less you can o/c it.

ok, then i try 4 a xp2100

i ll get on the horn and try for 2100 . i finally touched the mboard today (i ve had it new for months) to chk ver. near the last pci ...the small white sticker says 0. so that makes it ver. 1.0.... i have some software upgrading to do! but i ll 1st baseline with sandra and 133ram chips then later bravely the mods. anything else i should kno at the start? tbred vs palimino?

oh yeh 7s5a pilgrams :)

well ppl i finally got my 2100 and 7s5a united and powered up. its been relatively easy. it was straight forward so far after reading the some of the posts and F.A.Q s .
here s a few specs . generic ? (P4) psupply
"Megfan 32 cfm" :):):)wimpy?. WD 60 gb HD, k7s5a ver1.0 set@ 133/133=1728 mhz temp 46 C . it took me hrs to figure out why my boot to win would get the blue screen after glimpsing the win logo?...!HD loaded with configs ,os and softwre from k7via /slot system...HD was strange to new cpu/mobo...duh? solution was to add another fresh partition and fresh os that new cpu/mobo would know. = No loss of useful old data and avoiding total reformat. :):) now i m having problms with gettin the k7s5a s support CD to install sys drvrs ???...likewise problems with modem drver naugthiness ? stay tuned, but for now am off on driver hunt solution. when this is over then the CPUFSB excercise. thz all for tips on earlier posts. cyah :)

later progrss...the modem

finally the pci slot modem is working...maybe itz in the faq a but 1 of the problms that i finally remembered was that this mobo come supposedly with on board sound, lan and MODEM!! apparently! the onboard should be disable to bios b4 u add another one to pci bus...um forgot that didnt I...well instead of posting from my 366 amd AT box i m now connected via 7s5a..oh joy....so remember if u dont want this problem then disable the onboard items so there s no great mobo mysteries in store. perhaps it on to sound/speakrs item. will also try to see if other items (DVD,CD player ) can be handled by this PSU a " PROV V" ?. still not sure of power limitations or specs. its bolted in former main machine K7 700mhz athlon case...temp 111 F last look at bios no case fan yet. sped 1728 mhz...not expecting to make records like the big boys with "megfan"and NO case fan yet...used a cpu($9.95 !!!!) shim on top of cpu on install and stnd therm paste :):) wimpy?...presently only have cpu, 256 mem stk ???, cpu/fan, modem and cd brner/plyer using electron flow... thk all and stay tuned. :)
p.s. and Matrox G-200 in agp slot.

Last edited:
wel , still geting familar

have install xp2100 with an"megfan"?? the megan s in fact a AOC
(?) D5-825 runs from 3125 to 3184... according to speedfan proggy
(very nice and convienant !), 80mm and 38cfm. wil run 133/133 = 1725mhz
133.9/133.9=1743mhz
137.3/137.3=1785mhz
138/138=1793mhz
142.7/142.7=LockUp! maxed out with stock hrdware & bios ver1.0 ?
my temps are from 109F to 113F depending on the ambient room
and cpu speeds. yeah, seemingly also doesnt like difs between cpu/fsb, wants synchro balance i think? even at lower clocks... nothing really unusual basically um stock ? and things seem par? i really should have taken more time and looked for a separate deal on another fan like Volcn 7, shims and AS paste... i have generic therm paste...i kno, hisssses:) i certainly see better deals now:( anyway my intitial trials have been under web surfing and the like, no real load performances yet....generic PSU seems fit?..perhaps some more trials instore, wil keep yah posted :)

Last edited:
Back