• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much memory do you have and why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
memory

Welcome to the forums!!

512mb. Good gaming. Less swapping.

256 in a medium use system. Why? It runs win2k. Better performance, less swapping.

192mb. Max my laptop can hold. Usage in linux for remote administration. Homework.

128mb. Minimal linux system. Mostly used for folding and remote administration.

Re: memory

Arkaine23 said:

512mb. Good gaming. Less swapping.

need i say more?

maybe i can.
When overclocking, one stick is better than two. So you would rather have one 512Mb slab instead of two 256Mb slabs. Some mobo's have problems when all slots are filled. Many require that all ram sticks are registered when doing so.

If you aren't gaming, 256 will do. But if you want multitasking gallore, go with more.

I'd say that in any new computer you should have at least 512 mb of ram. That's for me, of course. I like to play heavy duty games (under WinXP) while still being able to alt-tab rapidly. I actually have:

768 mb in main machine: cuz it was too slow with 256 and I bought a 512 stick.
256 mb in second machine: cuz it's maxed out.
256 mb in third machine: haven't got around to upgrading it. I don't actually use it, my bro uses it for school (that includes games lol)

256-- All I can afford. Soon to be upgraded from pc2100 to some Corsair 3200 XMS CAS2----onlt 256mb. Then upgraded to 512. Yes, i am evil. MWAHAHAHAHHAH

512. UT2k3 loads soooo much faster with 512 as opposed to 256.

i am all about "buy what you can afford" so i originally bought 1 stick of 512 ddr and then later added another 512 stick... i figured that it couldn't hurt since i don't oc that much... i don't see that much performance increase, but i can run a ton of programs at once without a performance loss :) but if you can't afford it, then i would go with the 512... usually my memory usage doesn't go past 400 mb very often...

quegyboe said:
You guys are all basterds! I am stuck with a lowsy 256MB PC133! AHH!!! HELP MEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! :D

sounds like we need to start a little jar of pennies for quegyboe and all of those unfortunate people still running sdram :D now i feel good about my ddr 2100

256 ddr333 kingston cause its all i could afford, now im wondering if i should buy a 512 and add it in for 768 or just have 512 and sell the 256? All my other computer have between 512 - 1536 and going back to 256 is just horrible no multitasking at all and battlefield 1942 runs too slow to play, but when i swaped components temporarly with 512 sd133 the game ran great (100+fps) so i guess the new 512 comes b4 the 80 gig (from 30)

Would anyone recommend going to 1 gig of ram for gaming or is that just going out of control?

i shoot for every system at 512 or more. i consider 728 (what my main rig has) the optimum ATM. gaming loves the ram (crucual 2700)

Just got a friend of mine's rig up to 512 (up from 256) and he can certainly tell the difference in load times, games, programs such as photoshop and flash, which he uses a lot.

FOLD ON
NAS

I run with a minimum of 256 in my systems except for two. The two others (gaming system and file/web/internet radio server) have 512, although I will be adding memory to the server (1Gig total). I think going to a gig of memory is unecessary for gaming.

Back