• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UT2K3 Texture Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
Here we go... I open up the UT Demo (...hopes for full version for christmas...) on my computer, and as soon as you get to the opening Nvidia screen, the textures are all missing. The background is white instead of black, and the logo is white with black text. Then, when the dude comes crashing out, he's a lovely tan color all over :D

But what's REALLY annoying is that all the text (real text, not just part of a bitmap or something) is unreadable as well. Once you get into the main screen, all the text is replaced with white blocks that turn yellow when your mouse is over them. I've managed to get into the game itself, and the problem is still there. The terrain is the same tan, and all the text is blocks of whatever color it is supposed to be.

I'm currently using an ATI Xpert 128 (because I partitaly fried my 8500LE with a volt mod), and it has absolutely no problems with any other game or benchmark that I run on it. I've reinstalled the game twice, and it still dosen't work.

I didn't know if this was a hardware issue, or a sofware issue (since it runs fine on my Gateway), so I decieded to put it here in the hopes that any of you would have a guess as to what to check.

Textureless.jpg

JigPu

I'm tempted to say card or driver incompatability, but I could be wrong.

Have you tried un then re-installing the demo?? Where did you d/l the demo?? Perhaps their files are FUBARred.. :rolleyes: (Unless it's the same copy of the demo running on the Gateway).

OK, I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling the demo, and it still suffers the same problem. The files aren't screwed cuz I used the same installer on the Gateway, and it runs fine when I run the executable over the network too.

Imcompatibility..... I'll have to check on that.
JigPu

Well, after reading the release notes, it seems that there may be a few possible issues that I can't find out wether I apply or not.

1) 16MB TNT-2 Class DirectX 6 card minimum
I have a 16MB Xpert 128 DirectX 7. I think I'm good there

2) DirectX version 8.1b for cards without a hardware T&L unit.
I have DirectX 8.1, but don't know wether this card has hardware T&L

3) Some older cards don't support texture compression and so will notice banding artifacts.
That's artifacts.... Not whole textures MISSING! Doubt this is the real problem (though may be an issue once I get the game running)

I think I'll try downloading DirectX 8.1b and see what happens. Does it matter that I abandon 8.1a for 8.1b? Is it backwards compatible? Hopefully it works....
JigPu

Last edited:
Back