• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

20 gig free!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sneak

For the last couple weeks my hard drive (40 gig maxtor) has been acting up. My computer would just freeze in the middle of something and then it would start making these funny klunking noises. I thought it was nothing so I just restarted and everything was ok.

Then after about a week of random crashes it started to do it more and more. So I finally called up Maxtor to rma my drive so they asked for the serial numbers and everything. The guy I was talking to knew exactly what my hard drive was doing once I told him the serial number. He said it was "the klunk of death".

My drive arrived 2 days after I called in and to my suprise. They gave me a 60 gig drive instead of a 40 gig! Needless to say, I'm pretty impressed with Maxtor.

Just thought I would vent on the great deal I got. :D

Maxtor states on the invoice after the replacement drive has been received... "the drive will be replaced with a drive of equal or greater capacity", same thing happened to me last may, my 1 month old 40gb maxtor started going for the light, so I rma'd it, and received a 60gb, had to rma that 60 a couple weeks ago as well...

My guess is that maybe the 40gb drives aren't widely available from their warehouse anymore, or something like that.

i also have that drive.

do you know the serial numbers? id like to know if my drive might be having the same problems. iv had to reformat 4X due to data corruption.

andNO i dont just want a free 60Gb HDD, if thats wht ure thinkin'

Wow that's really cool of them! Nice to see that they are trying to keep customers happy:) Did you get the info of your drive? Whenever I have had a drive the started to go bad it always seem to go bad within a week or so:( Or it just dies:( I have had 2 of those:(

i had read about this happening, but when i rmaed my 15.3gb drive i got back, sure enough, a 15.3gb drive.....i didnt they still made that stuff:mad:

On three different occasion Intel RMAed a processor and sent me back two. Too bad they have not done it reciently, I could use some XEONS

Sneak said:
My drive arrived 2 days after I called in and to my suprise. They gave me a 60 gig drive instead of a 40 gig! Needless to say, I'm pretty impressed with Maxtor.

Just thought I would vent on the great deal I got. :D

a couple months ago i took my old, old PC back to Best Buy for warrenty work, the hard drive wa s shot so instead of replacing it with another 5400 rpm 10gig they put a 7200 rpm 40gig in it. i got 30gigs and 1800rpm for free :D

yes, i love when that happens.

This is the face of utter jealousy!!!
It's not that i'm jelous or anything- I've never had to RMA anything apart from my monitor (which was a straight swap:( )
But SoftGod- if you got too many proc's lying about you can always throw them this way :D pretty please?

I think thats standard policy for many places- after all, if the customers are kept sweet then they will keep using them (and tell others- like here!).

but there is going a bit too far, I went to Pizza Hut the other month and as the crust came apart slightly in the oven- they gave us another one FREE!! I'm not complaining but if they hadnt told us that a tiny bit of crust didnt come out properly we wouldnt have noticed. I ate well that weekend.

T.Toy said:
This is the face of utter jealousy!!!
It's not that i'm jelous or anything- I've never had to RMA anything apart from my monitor (which was a straight swap:( )
But SoftGod- if you got too many proc's lying about you can always throw them this way :D pretty please?

I think thats standard policy for many places- after all, if the customers are kept sweet then they will keep using them (and tell others- like here!).

but there is going a bit too far, I went to Pizza Hut the other month and as the crust came apart slightly in the oven- they gave us another one FREE!! I'm not complaining but if they hadnt told us that a tiny bit of crust didnt come out properly we wouldnt have noticed. I ate well that weekend.

rma'ing pizza... hehe free stuff is always a plus... it's a good idea to always keep customers happy... that's the only way that you can stay in business... if you make every customer that comes through the door only a little happy, they're probably not going to like that as much as the guys next door who will basically bow down to the customer... glad to hear that you guys ate well ;) haha

side note: i am finally home! thank god that finals are over!!! now for my nice 1 month break :) score...

HeHe i sent 2 160gb discs back from staples, both 3 yr warranty my replacements carry a 1 yr warranty ---> laughs you better check yours, you may have actually lost on the deal..

Back