• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP2700+ / P4 3.06 ...which is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FrizzleFried

Registered
Toms Hardware just published an article on 27 or so different graphics cards. Evidently they tested these cards on both a P4 3.06 rig and an XP2700+ rig. The results they came up with are quite interesting. But not because the data shows which graphics card is best...etc, as we already know that the Radeon 9700PRO is the king daddy of cards right now. No....the interesting part is that, aside from a few exceptions, the XP2700+ rig tore through all the different game benchmarks with higher scores than the P4 3.06! What does that say to me? Joe Gamer? It says to me that as far as gaming is concerned, the XP2700+ (at $328 per pricewatch.com) is faster than the P4 3.06ghz (at $708 per pricewatch.com). I invite you to check out the Toms Hardware data and post your conclusions here. I also notice that the ATI cards run a bit better on XP machines than P4 machines as opposed to the Nvidia cards which run pretty similar in speeds between the two platforms.

Bottom line...AMD's $328 2.16ghz chip keeps up, and surpasses at times, the Intel 3.06ghz $708 chip....which are YOU gunna buy?

First of all- thats toms hardware- take anything they say with more than a grain of salt.
Second- keep in mine that the p4 2.8 performs about the same as the 2700 and costs about the same. the 3.06 I think is more of a publicity stunt than anything if you ask me.

So you claim that the P4 2.7 is the same speed (or very close) to the 3.06? I find that hard to believe. 300+ mhz is 300+ mhz when comparing two very similar chips. Sure, I am sure the 2.7 is pretty close to the 3.06....but come on, if the XP2700 beats on the 3.06 in gaming benchmarks, it surely will beat out the 2.7ghz P4....as for cost...welp....I cant seem to locate a price for a P4 2.7....do they MAKE a 2.7? I find 2.6 and 2.8. The 2.8 is $368 via pricewatch and $375 via pricegrabber. The 2.6 is $275 or so. Now, keep in mind, I am talking GAMING here folks...perhaps the P4 is faster at other stuff, I am not sure...i am just going by the data presented on Toms Hardware (and yes, I am aware of Toms' reputation).

Whoops....on second read, you DID say P4 2.8 not 2.7 (which they dont make?). Sorry. In any case...we are still talking about a 260mhz difference between it and the P4 3.06....so i am SURE the chip has to be 6-10% slower than the 3.06....which puts AMDs measly little 2.16ghz even farther ahead.

Back