• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temp accuracy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YseanY

Registered
does anyone kno if the temp probe on the msi board (k7n2-l in particular) is accurate? cuz its reading 51C on mine w/ a slk800 w/ tornado... that seems kinda high... i had this setup on an abit board (at7max2) and it was around 10C lower... so i was wondering if the msi boards have accurate reading (cuz i heard asus ones are about 10C higher than usual) thanx

They can varry from motherboard to motherboard. Alias, unless you do something like take the temp off a probe between the heatsink and core. You won't know.

If you aint seeing any stability problems then you're ok. If you think that the board is right and you have a higher temp. Then remount the sink. Then again on the other hand the abit's probe may havve not been touching the CPU, I don't know it's your comp <grin>

-Toysrme
(and yes, it's problably just set high if you remount the block and it stays about the same)

One thing to consider is that the SLK800 is not going to be any better than a retail heatsink if the airflow is restricted in the case.

Another thing to consider is the way in which you applied thermal paste, and what type of material you used. If the SLK800 came with that pink crap on the bottom and you used it, then the temps are probably pretty close to the truth. The pink crap is HORRIBLE.

Motherboard sensors are hardly ever 100% accurate, but they are good at giving you a general temp, and deviation (+/-) is usually fairly low even between boards.

I put a dab of thermal paste on my sensor - maybe does nothing, but i like to think that it increases accuracy :D

i used a very thin layer of arctic silver 3. i also reseated the heatsink 2xs and the times r still the same... but my system seems to be stable w/ my xp 1800 at 1812 at 48C (running prime torture test and folding@home)... i guess i should be ok? thanx

Back