• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A little help, please (long)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flow

A little help, please

Hi all,

Last night I tried to play a DVD on my PC for the first time. result: extremely choppy movie:D
Anyways, after looking around a bit I found out that my DVD player (or anything on the IDE 2 channel) was stuck in PIO mode while UDMA is selected in the device manager. That, and the fact that on startup the DVD is detected as ATA 33.

My configuration is:

Primary master: HDD1
Primary slave: HDD2
Secondary master: DVD/CDrom
Secondary slave: CD-RW
(this setup as done the job for a long time, until I wanted to play DVD's ;) )

So... I took out HDD2 and put the DVDplayer on IDE 1 as primary slave.
Et voila: the DVD player was detected as an ATA 66 device and in the device manager is showed UDMA 2 mode. Result: This time the DVD played very smooth indeed.

Bottom line of the story: no matter what I do, IDE 2 is stuck in PIO mode.
Why?
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi Penguin4x4

Yes it is. Or at least, it was.

I think I know what you're thinking ;) but right now the CD-R/RW isn't connected at all and the DVD is still stuck in PIO mode :bang head

All I can think of is Windows Update and checking to see if there is any new firmware or drivers available for your DVD Drive.

what operating system are you running? i had this problem awhile back on an older machine running win2k, and the fix was easy - uninstalled the IDE Channels and the DVD & CD-RW drives too, restarted, problem solved.

I believe I read somewhere that win2k and XP both have certain "safety measures" if you will that lower the channels to PIO modes if you experience crashes or lockups. so to change them back to DMA and better/faster playback, just uninstall and when windows restarts it should reinstall no problem, except this time using DMA. hope that works for ya!

John

Thanks Chambers
I'll try this as soon as I get home.

Probably not it, but just to make sure:

In the BIOS you can normaly lock IDE channels in PIO mode.. Take a look and make sure it's set at "auto" or something like that..

Veland said:
Probably not it, but just to make sure:

In the BIOS you can normaly lock IDE channels in PIO mode.. Take a look and make sure it's set at "auto" or something like that..

ah yes, win2k or xp wont allow you to change them to DMA if you have that selected for PIO in the bios, you're right.. good point Veland ;)

Mr. Chambers said:
what operating system are you running? i had this problem awhile back on an older machine running win2k, and the fix was easy - uninstalled the IDE Channels and the DVD & CD-RW drives too, restarted, problem solved.

I believe I read somewhere that win2k and XP both have certain "safety measures" if you will that lower the channels to PIO modes if you experience crashes or lockups. so to change them back to DMA and better/faster playback, just uninstall and when windows restarts it should reinstall no problem, except this time using DMA. hope that works for ya!

John

I had a similar problem in Win XP a while back and the good people on these forums helped me out. I had to update my motherboard chipset drivers (I use a SiS 645dx based board but VIA and Intel both have the same type of utility), and uninstall my ide controllers. Then viola everything was hunkie-dorie.

If you do have trouble, I was told that if your OS detects a few errors it will default back to PIO. This can be solved by simply removing the devices and letting windows redetect them.

Are you using XP?

Good luck Flow. :D

Back